Nintendo Busts Mod Chip Shop in Hong Kong

October 23, 2007 -
Nintendo has taken down what appears to be a large-scale Wii and DS mod chip operation in Hong Kong.

A company press release said that Hong Kong's High Court issued the order for the raid, which occurred earlier this month. It took Nintendo reps three full days to seize over 10,000 mod chips and other game copying devices from the Supreme Factory Limited. As described by Nintendo:
The game copying devices connect to the Nintendo DS and are used to copy and play game files offered unlawfully via the Internet. The mod chips allow the play of pirated Wii discs or illegal copies of Nintendo games downloaded from the Internet.

The Supreme Factory Limited has connection to a French company called Divineo SARL as well as its owner Max Louarn (Louarn has quite the history... give him a Google). All three are named in the legal action and have had their assets frozen by Hong Kong High Court.

Said Jodi Daugherty, Nintendo of America's senior piracy fighter:
Piracy affects the entire video game industry, from large companies to independent developers. It can destroy years of hard work by a team of very talented software developers, who strive to create games consumers enjoy playing. Copying the developers' work and spreading the game files globally is blatant stealing.

The Nintendo press release recounted past successes against copying device manufacturers, including a $5 million judgment against Lik Sang in 2005.

Comments

[...] [Source: Gamepolitics] [...]

[...] On a related note… I’ve recently imported from Hong Kong one of these “unofficial homebrew solutions” for the DS. In part because I fear that Nintendo will attempt to wipe them off the face of the planet with recent efforts. Why? Because part of my dissertation is going to be interactive and on the DS. Homebrew needs to start pitching itself as speech, and if my dissertation is illegal, then so be it. It’s also going to be Creative Commons and the source code is going to be in the appendix. [...]

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am