No War Today for 101st Airborne; Soldiers Play Halo Instead

December 25, 2007 -
From a wire service report in the Melbourne Herald Sun:
At Patrol Base Warrior Keep in Baghdad, all wished they were home. However at least there weren't any patrols outside the base for the 101st Airborne Division.

Lt-Col R.J. Lillibridge didn't want to risk having to deliver bad news to families on the holiday.

So instead of patrolling, the soldiers stayed on base, playing Halo video game tournaments, waiting in lines for phones and computers to contact home and sleeping in after breakfast or even lunch...
Posted in

Comments

yeah we can play halo out here but cant find anyone with a damn copy of COD4 to link up systems with...

Neat. Have fun blasting the Covenant guys and have a safe and Merry Christmas! Everyone here on the board and blog too. :)

Best wishes to everyone over there, stay safe and enjoy the day off!

Poor bastards.. Playing Halo.. =D

Did Fun For Our Troops have a hand in this, or does the article not specify?

Lucky them! Merry Christmas!

Looks like Johnny Bruce Thompson didn't steal Christmas this year!

But his heart still stayed 3 sizes too small.

I hope they remember how the Tet offensive worked out. Festivals and celebrations are no excuse for not keeping up the pressure on the opponents.

@Dan:

lol callous?

Well Tet was the other guys' holiday. This holiday is the day when we're the ones who break the traditional peace and go out and slaughter us some drunk Hessian mercenaries.

I support any break our Armed Forces can get. It is the only thing they have to look forward to other than extended tours. I hope they all come home so they can game all year around.

As I was told by a member of the Army, if you really want to help our soldiers, VOTE!

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

quiknkoldI have a problem with games that use a digit for sequals when clearly they can be called something else. Five Nights at Freddy's 2? Nonono. Its "Another Five Nights at Freddy's" or "Five Nights Week 2"10/22/2014 - 5:30pm
E. Zachary KnightExtra Credits has come out against GamerGate. https://www.facebook.com/ExtraCredits/posts/86104175727438610/22/2014 - 5:28pm
E. Zachary Knightis it really that hard to answer a question, that to me seems fairly straight forward? I ask, because I have asked a specific question now 3 times without an actual answer in the wastebook thread.10/22/2014 - 5:20pm
Andrew EisenFive Nights at Freddy's 2! Yay! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPONdZBh6s10/22/2014 - 5:07pm
Matthew Wilsonyou guys know he doesnt work for ea anymore?10/22/2014 - 5:02pm
WymorenceYou forgot having to open Unity through Origin too. :p10/22/2014 - 4:37pm
MaskedPixelanteUnity will now be licensed out half finished, with remaining tools to be sold back to you for 10-15 dollars a piece.10/22/2014 - 3:23pm
E. Zachary KnightNot a big fan of this news, but Unity3D's CEO is stepping down and John Riccitiello steps up. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/228384/Helgason_steps_down_as_Unity_CEO_and_John_Riccitiello_steps_up.php10/22/2014 - 3:06pm
MaskedPixelanteIt's probably extremism.10/22/2014 - 12:07pm
Matthew Wilsonthat being said, they are more likely to blame religious extremists than games.10/22/2014 - 12:01pm
Matthew Wilsonlets just hope they dont try to blame video games.10/22/2014 - 12:00pm
MaskedPixelanteOh joy, Ottawa's on lockdown, this is going to be a fun couple of days...10/22/2014 - 11:56am
MaskedPixelanteAnyone have any good text replacement scripts? I want one that can censor out Breitbart links.10/22/2014 - 11:35am
james_fudgeMilo and I are not BFFs. I tried, man!10/22/2014 - 11:33am
ZippyDSMleequiknkold:you too eh? 0-o10/22/2014 - 10:23am
Michael ChandraI don't like bullying anymore than you do, and yes, I think you're petty. Not commenting on the sob part, because I don't know your mother and don't see why I'd insult her.10/22/2014 - 10:02am
quiknkoldif that makes me petty, then I guess I'm one petty sob10/22/2014 - 8:48am
quiknkoldwell I'm sorry Conster, Having my skull smashed in when I was 14 made me skeptical to apologies when it comes to Bullying regardless of the platform its given. I guess Bullies beat the sympathy out of me.10/22/2014 - 8:47am
ConsterOn an unrelated note, I'm missing a "heck if I know" option on the poll.10/22/2014 - 8:33am
ConsterIf someone offends a bunch of people on twitter, they should apologize on twitter, and not accepting said apology because it's "only" on twitter is petty.10/22/2014 - 8:22am