No War Today for 101st Airborne; Soldiers Play Halo Instead

December 25, 2007 -
From a wire service report in the Melbourne Herald Sun:
At Patrol Base Warrior Keep in Baghdad, all wished they were home. However at least there weren't any patrols outside the base for the 101st Airborne Division.

Lt-Col R.J. Lillibridge didn't want to risk having to deliver bad news to families on the holiday.

So instead of patrolling, the soldiers stayed on base, playing Halo video game tournaments, waiting in lines for phones and computers to contact home and sleeping in after breakfast or even lunch...
Posted in

Comments

yeah we can play halo out here but cant find anyone with a damn copy of COD4 to link up systems with...

Neat. Have fun blasting the Covenant guys and have a safe and Merry Christmas! Everyone here on the board and blog too. :)

Best wishes to everyone over there, stay safe and enjoy the day off!

Poor bastards.. Playing Halo.. =D

Did Fun For Our Troops have a hand in this, or does the article not specify?

Lucky them! Merry Christmas!

Looks like Johnny Bruce Thompson didn't steal Christmas this year!

But his heart still stayed 3 sizes too small.

I hope they remember how the Tet offensive worked out. Festivals and celebrations are no excuse for not keeping up the pressure on the opponents.

@Dan:

lol callous?

Well Tet was the other guys' holiday. This holiday is the day when we're the ones who break the traditional peace and go out and slaughter us some drunk Hessian mercenaries.

I support any break our Armed Forces can get. It is the only thing they have to look forward to other than extended tours. I hope they all come home so they can game all year around.

As I was told by a member of the Army, if you really want to help our soldiers, VOTE!

Matthew Wilsonand yes they went way way over budget from what I read.04/27/2015 - 12:33pm
Matthew Wilson@AE if they cancaled it there would be massive outrage, but people tend to be ok with a delayed game.04/27/2015 - 12:32pm
IvresseBleh, can't edit shout on my phone :-/04/27/2015 - 12:32pm
Andrew EisenHell, the Kickstarter itself raised WAY more than DF was asking but I saw no accusations of impropriety.04/27/2015 - 12:31pm
Andrew EisenA little over three years later (two and a half years after the estimated delivery date), the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter finally delivered the game. Oddly, I never saw anyone accuse Double Fine of scamming or conning anyone.04/27/2015 - 12:30pm
Ivresse@PHX Corp: Not only that, but Konami have just delisted themselves from the NYSE:http://polygon.com/e/826793404/27/2015 - 12:28pm
Matthew Wilsonwhile I felt bad for everyone outside the US who wanted to watch the HOTS finals, the fact it was on espn 2 in prime time is a major major step forward for video games.04/27/2015 - 12:14pm
james_fudgeThanks Papa!04/27/2015 - 10:43am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/its-official-silent-hills-is-cancelled-1700379816# It's Official: Silent Hills Is Cancelled04/27/2015 - 9:48am
Papa MidnightI also hope that legislation holds the individual(s) who initiated the action is criminally liable for any and all harm that may come to persons involved (whether it be the cops or the victim(s)), as well as any property damaged suffered by any party.04/27/2015 - 8:16am
Papa MidnightJames: Small typographical error in the article for the NY Congressman's legislation: earlier is misspelled as "earlkier" (context: "Chuck Schumer (D) earlkier this month.")04/27/2015 - 8:14am
Matthew WilsonUC berkeley won, and they 3 years of free tuition for winning.04/26/2015 - 11:26pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://espn.go.com/watchespn/…/id/2497649/Heroes-of-the-Dorm heroes of the storm is being broadcast live on espn 2 never thought a moba would get a time slot like this on tv.04/26/2015 - 9:30pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://reason.com/archives/2015/04/09/the-dmca-chill-factor this is why the dmca should be changed or gotten rid off.04/26/2015 - 6:41pm
PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm