Another Gamer Lost in Iraq

December 27, 2007 -
….another in an occasional series of reports about gamers who gave their all:

The Californian reports that Army private George Howell, 24, died last week in Iraq when an IED detonated beneath the truck he was riding in. From the newspaper account:
[George's sister] Chardell, 33, remembered her brother for his sense of humor, thoughtfulness and love for his family. An outgoing person, George loved playing football and video games, she said...

“Georgie could not find [a job]… so he went into the service,” Doyle Howell said.  “...he was a special kid … I just wish things could have turned out different.”

Also lost: New Hampshire gamer Justin McDaniel, 19, who died in Baghdad.

Comments

@GO

If we're playing by those rules, The guys and girls from Stalingrad get the medals.

And, uh.. It was the 101st at Bastogne..

You are correct, the 82nd was in the Battle of the Bulge, but not at Bastogne. Need to watch that movie again.

@GO

Ooh, War Movie?

Nah, Battleground, 1949.

Pfft.

@ GO

Take heart that destijlcat is by far the minority.

I come from a family who has members in almost all the branches of the armed forces. I will simply leave this at I have a medical condition that makes it so I cannot enlist and honestly I wouldn't. I don't feel I have what it takes to fill those shoes and face the peril that soldiers are facing daily in a war zone.

What you've said here means a lot to this online GP community. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. It means a lot to me and I'm sure it means a lot to many others here, posters and lurkers alike.

Yes, it does.

My condolences.

@ destijlcat: How old are you?

R.I.P George Howell.

My condolences go to his friends and family.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm