In Second Life, a Tribute to Fallen British Soldiers

February 23, 2008 -
The Telegraph reports on a touching memorial to British soldiers killed while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A virtual military graveyard in an area of SL known as Tribute Island features memorials to about 250 British war dead. Nik Hewitt of lasting tribute, creator of the memorial, said:
We've replicated individual tribute markers to all the UK soldiers and military personnel who’ve lost their lives in the continuing conflicts...

We have seen avatars - characters created by serving military personnel - wandering through the graves looking for fallen comrades.

Comments

@ Connor-These brave fallen men were very likely not even BORN at the time of Bloody Sunday let alone have anything to do with it.

How about Aldershot, Harrods, Brightion Hotel, Victoria Station, London Bridge Station, St.Mary's Axe, Bishopsgate, Sussex Arms, Warington, South Quay, Manchester for example?

So kindly keep your bitter keyboard warrior gob shut unless you have anything positive to contribute.

@Connor

Fuck off. Wanker..

As for the Second Lifers who put this together, bloody fantastic work.

Kudos to those setting it up, by the way, the music was probably chosen because its a song often sung at funerals.

@Conner... go to hell.

@Conner

I hate war, but I don't hate soldiers.

The reason I hate war is that so many great mens die in those. To hate soldiers is to hate guns in a shooting.

May their soul rest in peace.

I don't support this. Second Life doesn't have the most appropriate atmosphere in the world to have such a memorial that's supposed to carry meaning behind it.

Obviously someone worked hard on island, and sure, it's a just cause, but really? Second Life?

I always do like those who take the time to pull off stuff like this.

I only fear when certain people get whiff that this exists.

Interesting video... yucky music though (I hate when people stick music over youtube videos).

As a second life showcase it does show up second life's limitatons rather well - it doesn't seem to be getting more than about 5fps when it's showing that number of objects at once... that engine seriously needs upgrading. The sunset effect was rather nice - was that added in postproduction? Last time I tried second life (about 6 months ago) it only supported a blue sky... of course they could have added it since.

The picture of pavarotti didn't work.. clearly stuck onto an existing building.. they should have edited that out as it kind of spoiled a rather well done video sequence.

Not to start a political debate, but good riddance. Remember Derry '72.

Well done to those people that put the time and effort in to make this
I have great respect for our servicemen and are saddened by their deaths.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
we will remember them.

@Connor:

Asshole

@Everyone else:

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." -- George Patton

@Altair,

I always remember that quote.

Went to this place last night, and I gotta say it's got a hell of a different feel to the rest of SL.

It 's a hell of a thing to 'stand there' amongst all those headstones and see just how many of these people have died in this crazy conflict. I really think the medium helps put it in visual context. 300 markers looks like individuals, where else could you see it like this? I think the most impressive thing for me was the sense of honest 'respect'. Honestly @Gibble, go check this in person. I was well surprised.

Oh yeah, and @Connor, theres memorials there to bomb victims those killed in atrocities and stuff. Put your money where your month is and ask them to place a memorial to Bloody Sunday if your so hot about it...

Poll

Poll: Is it censorship when a private retailer decides not to sell a particular video game?:

MechaCrashNo mention of shoving PT into the memory hole, I see.05/29/2015 - 8:38am
WonderkarpSorry for caps. copy pasted the title05/29/2015 - 8:36am
Wonderkarphttp://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/silent-hills-publisher-konami-issues-apology-explains-mobile-first-future KONAMI ISSUES APOLOGY, EXPLAINS ‘MOBILE FIRST’ FUTURE05/29/2015 - 8:36am
PHX Corphttp://www.gamespot.com/articles/need-for-speed-will-require-an-online-connection/1100-6427672/ Need For Speed Will Require An Online Connection05/29/2015 - 7:54am
Wonderkarpjust be happy and encourage it.05/29/2015 - 7:37am
DocMelonheadSorry about that, but I'm surprise at what IP participate in this discussion.05/29/2015 - 7:25am
E. Zachary KnightIron, I did not Google Search because I figured the ESRB would publish such infor on their site, which is where I looked. http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp05/29/2015 - 7:22am
WonderkarpDocMelonHead, don't look a gift horse in the mouth05/29/2015 - 7:21am
E. Zachary KnightDoc, Uncalled for. Please keep things civil.05/29/2015 - 7:21am
MattsworknameThey were discussing the appeals process for Esrb ratings Doc.05/29/2015 - 7:21am
DocMelonheadDid IP post something that isn't related to White Supremecy?05/29/2015 - 7:13am
IronPatriotBut hey, you're welcome.05/29/2015 - 5:23am
Andrew EisenEZK did say he didn't find any info on the appeals process. And if all he did was look at the ratings process part of the ESRB's website, he wouldn't have. That's where I would have looked too. But hey, thanks for being thorough and finding the info.05/29/2015 - 5:01am
Andrew EisenDude, again. I am NOT saying there is no appeals process. THERE OBVIOUSLY IS. All I am saying is that the appeals process is not described in the ratings process part of the ESRB's website.05/29/2015 - 4:59am
IronPatriotI googled appeal esrb.org and it is the first and third hits. Second is esrb talking about appeals for web publishers. Gamefaqs is fourth.05/29/2015 - 4:01am
IronPatriotZachary said he did not find any information about a formal appeals process. I did a simple search and found two places on the esrb site with the info. Just sayin.05/29/2015 - 3:57am
IronPatriotOn Google I get "1 Written Testimony of Patricia E. Vance President ... - ESRB" http://www.esrb.org/about/news/downloads/pvtestimony_6_14_06.pdf05/29/2015 - 3:55am
Andrew EisenNow, that post on GameFAQs was made four years ago. It appears the ESRB has since moved the appeals process stuff behind the publisher login on its website.05/29/2015 - 3:32am
Andrew EisenOh, third link on the Google search. Okay. That leads to a GameFAQs message board which quotes a section of the ESRB website that includes a description of the appeals process. But when you follow the link, that quote doesn't exist.05/29/2015 - 3:30am
Andrew EisenThird link down from what? Look, I'm not arguing the existance of an appeals process. There obviously is one. I was merely noting that it's odd that it isn't described on the website's ratings process section but it is on the mobile site.05/29/2015 - 3:25am