In Iraq, Soldiers Become Gamers During Down Time

February 24, 2008 -
Weekend America reporter Adam Allington, on assignment with U.S. troops in Anbar Province, reports that video games are a very popular leisure time activity.
Video game sales are way up [among soldiers]... In a converted Iraqi Republican Guard barracks, Sergeant David Carr and several of his buddies are huddled around a hard-to-find Nintendo Wii.

"We play it when we get off of work almost every night," Carr says... At the moment however, Carr isn't playing a shoot-em-up game. Right now he's got something a little more relaxing, "Hooked! Real Motion Fishing."

GP: This story reminds me that the Fun For Our Troops non-profit organization works to send games and systems to our military personnel serving overseas.
Posted in

Comments

I talked to a guy a few months ago who was back from his first tour over there. He said they don't get new games in very often, so they try to find games with lots of content (he mentioned Disgaea), then just play the hell out of them.

@ All

Just to be clear, I wasnt suggesting that it was a good idea. I just wonder how the story would have been written by a journalist had they been playing such titles.

I would have expected a "Troops unwind on virtual death simulator" headline.

Send them some Harvest Moon? Hahahaha! But hey, i see the future in gaming to combad PTSD.

What I wanna know is, would this story have a different slant if they were all playing COD4 or Counterstrike....

@Canary Wudaboy

No soldier plays Shooters right after combat. It screws with your mind.

It would be extremely interesting if a study came out showing that playing videogames reduced the effects of PTSD or the chances of getting it. Jack and friends then would have a really tough time fighting a military backed device.

I remember jsut a few weeks ago a soldier came home from iraq and started playing CoD4. He ended up having a relapse of his time at iraq and running off into the streets thinking he was under attack. So yea I'd have to agree playing FPS right after your time at iraq isn't a very good thing to do.

@ Aaron Lockard,

That depends on you and on what happened to you.

A lot.

Wow, somebody send them some good games. Playing Hooked should be considered torture. Yeouch!

So hang on. If videogames are helping the troops relax, this means that Jack Thompson is actually aiding the terrorists and putting our troops in danger.

[...] Source: Weekend America, GamePolitics [...]

@BlackIce
I played Final Fantasy. It was nearly as fucked up. And if playing COD4 sends you into a relapse, you have deep problems and a weak psyche to start with. I love that game. But what I think is the best, and this is just me now, is when I play on XBOX live and end up playing with 11 year old retarded kids who can't stop rapping into the mic long enough to shoot someone, and then talk a lot of shit when you call them out on the level of suck they brought to the table.

I believe some"Relapse"2-playerboardgames are on thier way to some of our troops, I hope they are recieved well,Search Google video and see this game,Fun!! and can learn in less than 4-Minutes, Enjoy!

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Matthew Wilsonhttp://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/11/music-publishers-finally-pull-the-trigger-sue-an-isp-over-piracy/ this is just stupid.11/29/2014 - 12:56am
Papa MidnightWhat Andrew Said. I also got directed to a Blu-Ray for Dragon Ball Z.11/29/2014 - 12:38am
Andrew EisenI don't get it. That's a link to a Dragon Ball Z set.11/29/2014 - 12:21am
MaskedPixelantehttps://hmv.ca/en/Search/Details?sku=763440 Real life Metroidvania.11/28/2014 - 8:33pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/25/lee-rigby-report-internet-firms-safe-haven-terrorists-pm wow... come on uk really?11/28/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/two_tetris_downloads_to_be_removed_from_the_3ds_eshop_in_europe Tetris to be removed from the 3DS VC at the end of the year in Europe. Other regions unknown, but will probably all happen too.11/28/2014 - 9:16am
Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm