In Iraq, Soldiers Become Gamers During Down Time

February 24, 2008 -
Weekend America reporter Adam Allington, on assignment with U.S. troops in Anbar Province, reports that video games are a very popular leisure time activity.
Video game sales are way up [among soldiers]... In a converted Iraqi Republican Guard barracks, Sergeant David Carr and several of his buddies are huddled around a hard-to-find Nintendo Wii.

"We play it when we get off of work almost every night," Carr says... At the moment however, Carr isn't playing a shoot-em-up game. Right now he's got something a little more relaxing, "Hooked! Real Motion Fishing."

GP: This story reminds me that the Fun For Our Troops non-profit organization works to send games and systems to our military personnel serving overseas.
Posted in

Comments

I talked to a guy a few months ago who was back from his first tour over there. He said they don't get new games in very often, so they try to find games with lots of content (he mentioned Disgaea), then just play the hell out of them.

@ All

Just to be clear, I wasnt suggesting that it was a good idea. I just wonder how the story would have been written by a journalist had they been playing such titles.

I would have expected a "Troops unwind on virtual death simulator" headline.

Send them some Harvest Moon? Hahahaha! But hey, i see the future in gaming to combad PTSD.

What I wanna know is, would this story have a different slant if they were all playing COD4 or Counterstrike....

@Canary Wudaboy

No soldier plays Shooters right after combat. It screws with your mind.

It would be extremely interesting if a study came out showing that playing videogames reduced the effects of PTSD or the chances of getting it. Jack and friends then would have a really tough time fighting a military backed device.

I remember jsut a few weeks ago a soldier came home from iraq and started playing CoD4. He ended up having a relapse of his time at iraq and running off into the streets thinking he was under attack. So yea I'd have to agree playing FPS right after your time at iraq isn't a very good thing to do.

@ Aaron Lockard,

That depends on you and on what happened to you.

A lot.

Wow, somebody send them some good games. Playing Hooked should be considered torture. Yeouch!

So hang on. If videogames are helping the troops relax, this means that Jack Thompson is actually aiding the terrorists and putting our troops in danger.

[...] Source: Weekend America, GamePolitics [...]

@BlackIce
I played Final Fantasy. It was nearly as fucked up. And if playing COD4 sends you into a relapse, you have deep problems and a weak psyche to start with. I love that game. But what I think is the best, and this is just me now, is when I play on XBOX live and end up playing with 11 year old retarded kids who can't stop rapping into the mic long enough to shoot someone, and then talk a lot of shit when you call them out on the level of suck they brought to the table.

I believe some"Relapse"2-playerboardgames are on thier way to some of our troops, I hope they are recieved well,Search Google video and see this game,Fun!! and can learn in less than 4-Minutes, Enjoy!

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7932653/fcc-changed-definition-broadband-25mbps did not think the fcc would go through with it.01/29/2015 - 1:16pm
Andrew EisenI know, right? Don't you dare think the fact that I buy all your games makes this sort of behavior okay, TT Games!01/29/2015 - 12:57pm
IanCHow dare thy release games that do well both commercially and critically. How dare they. (refer to the Lego games)01/29/2015 - 12:55pm
Infophile@Wonderkarp: Tales of Innocence. Was in the final dungeon, when I accidentally left my 3DS on an airplane and couldn't get it back. Lost both the game and the system. Got a new system, but not the game (not fun enough to be worth replaying)01/29/2015 - 12:10pm
Andrew EisenOh, thank goodness. There will be at least two console LEGO games this year. For a moment I was worried there! (LEGO Jurassic World, LEGO Marvel's Avengers plus LEGO Ninjago for handheld.)01/29/2015 - 12:08pm
prh99Cminer: It's the only way to monetize Nintendo game videos. Otherwise Nintendo content IDs them and take all the AD revenue. Also it's only covers a small portion of their catalog.01/29/2015 - 12:06pm