Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For Change Festival Next Week

May 29, 2008 -

Every gamer's favorite academic, MIT Professor Henry Jenkins, will be among the presenters at the 5th Annual Games for Change Festival which takes place June 2-4 in New York.

Retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor will deliver the festival's closing keynote. Other speakers include Ben Sawyer of the Serious Games Initiative, Dr. James Paul Gee of Arizona State University, Prof. Ian Bogost of Georgia Tech and Heather Chaplin, co-author of Smartbomb.

From the GFC press release:

The only festival... will explore real-world impact, the latest games and funding strategies... Expert practitioners -- academics, activists, non-profits, funders -- will be called in to examine the impact of current games, evaluations planned and the ongoing work to build the field.

You will have a chance to see a variety of new games in development first-hand, and at the Games Expo sponsored by Microsoft, festival-goers can play the latest state-of-the-art games.

Comments

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

Darn east coasters getting all the sweet stuff.

Ah, well. I guess I'll have to settle for transcripts.. again..

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

You never quite get the same feel from a transcript though, there really isn't anything like the live speech. I wish some of this stuff would come to Chicago, at least I can drive there.

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

WHAT?! A former SCOTUS judge is speaking?! Why is this stupid thing in New York, I wish it was in CA so I could go...

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

Am I the only one tired enough to have read that as "Sarah Connor" before the double-take?

Just me? Carry on, then.

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

Actually the first thing I thought was, "I wonder if Summer Glau is gonna be there too."

Yeah.

-"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

Myself as well.

“A reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable man persists in attempting to adapt his environment to suit himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” George Bernard Shaw

Re: Henry Jenkins, Sandra Day O'Connor Headline Games For

"Real world impact?" Why didn't they ask Thompson to be a speaker? Ya know, get the real story.

Oh that's right, he'll be in Florida getting disbarred.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm