GP on Joystiq: NY Video Game Legislation Has Missing Teeth

June 30, 2008 -

...the one in which GP explains why the video game bill passed in New York last week is all bark and no bite.

Catch it only on Joystiq...

Comments

Re: GP on Joystiq: NY Video Game Legislation Has Missing Teeth

Yep, another example of the people we put in charge wasting our money foolishly.  If only they were personally responsible for the money they waist.  Wake Up New York.

Re: GP on Joystiq: NY Video Game Legislation Has Missing Teeth

I heard PCs and handhelds are specificly exempt. I can't imagine why considering what they'er trying to do. My worry isn't so much this law per se as laws it might open up for consideration since this one passed :(

Re: GP on Joystiq: NY Video Game Legislation Has Missing Teeth

My problem is that the Nintendo DS and PSP are both game consoles, and neither has parental controls.  So, neither may be sold under this law.

The law may define a "video game console" specifically and accurately, but I doubt it.

Re: GP on Joystiq: NY Video Game Legislation Has Missing Teeth

I agree, I was wondering about that. And, are computers exempt? Are foreign devices exempt?Is it really legal to pass a state law that forces a company in another state to some sort of action (in this case, install controls)? Or, will this bill require that handheld devices no longer be sold in the state at all?

How well does it define these video games? Do arcade cabinets and other single function systems require parental control before being sold in New York? Gambling devices? All those are electronic/video games as well, so much as in they are games on a vid screen...

Re: GP on Joystiq: NY Video Game Legislation Has Missing Teeth

I still haven't seen the text of the bill so this may be a moot point, but does the bill apply to online sales at all or strictly brick and mortar shelves?

If it does apply to online sales then it does in fact have some teeth, specifically in regards to Indie games.  Most Indie games are not rated as the majority of them are sold online and it's a costly process.  The only ones that bother with getting rated are the ones that manage to score a box deal or a deal to publish via another channel that requires it.

Re: GP on Joystiq: NY Video Game Legislation Has Missing Teeth

I hate when we get these articles while I am at work. I can't read it until tonight.

E. Zachary Knight
www.editorialgames.com
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

Re: GP on Joystiq: NY Video Game Legislation Has Missing Teeth

Is it because everything they wasted taxpayer's money on to try and set up is already done voluntarily?

-"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -Sir Winston Churchill

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm