Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

June 30, 2008 -

Although Texas-based Gamecock ran a high profile marketing blitz for its politically-tinged Hail to the Chimp, reviewers have voted and the game did not do well.

Variety issued a particularly stinging beatdown:

At first blush, "Hail to the Chimp" looks like a promising mix of edgy political humor with multiplayer party gaming mayhem. But the resulting mashup is a chaotic jumble that's doesn't play well and only loosely is tied to politics at all... "Hail to the Chimp" has about as much of a chance of success as a Dennis Kucinich presidential campaign.

Game Informer slapped Hail To the Chimp with a 4/10, Electronic Gaming Monthly 75/100 and GamePro 3/5.

To be fair, 1UP gave HTC a B+, while UGO awarded it an A-

Comments

Re: Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

Wow, I've been looking into getting this game for my kids, and after looking at reviews they look pretty mixed.  The ones you mentioned are half good and half not so good- so how does that reflect that the overall feedback is negative?  The Wall Street Journal article does a good job talking about the game, and I also came across the Games Radar review, which gave it a 7/10.

I appreciate your focus on politically-based games, but you might want to do your homework before you claim that a game didn't do well.  I'll likely still pick this one up, as my 8-year-old will love the animals, and I can play it with him (a refreshing change from the plethora of shooter games).

Re: Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

Am I the only one who saw the title of this game and exclaimed "SIMPSONS DID IT!"

Re: Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

Oh look, a gamecock game that is terrible. Gee, that has never happened before, unless you count every other game that Gamecock has ever made in its history. Seriously, Gamecock only exists to be a bunch of morons pulling off stupid publicity stunts. They only make VERY mediocre games as a cover, so that they can claim to be a game company, while in reality they are just a bunch of morons wanting attention.

Re: Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

HAHA Dennis Kucinich.

Re: Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

That's too bad. I was hoping for something a little better. I may still check it out though. Probably a rental before buying it.

But what can can you expect from a company that interupts award acceptance speeches with a guy in a chicken suit.

E. Zachary Knight
www.editorialgames.com
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

Re: Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

Honestly, when I noticed that the monkey had George Bush-esque ears, I knew the whole thing was gonna suck.  Those commercials I've seen for it with the 'vulgar granny turtle' just prove my point.

Re: Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

I'm tired of seeing the commercials run - the game seems annoying enough on it's own.

Re: Reviewers Go Negative on Hail to the Chimp

Agreed.  Not that I have any particular liking for the President, but people have been telling the same Bush jokes for nearly eight years.  He sucks, we get it, move on.

---------------------------------

So speak I, some random guy.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm