GTA IV Robbers Get II Years in Prison

July 15, 2008 -

Separating a hardcore gamer from the copy of GTA IV that he waited for in a launch line?

Absolutely criminal, said a judge in Great Britain. As reported by the Leyland Guardian, Marc Hughes, 21, and Oliver Aindow, 18, not only stole their victim's copy of the game but also broke his nose and jaw.

So, were these two a couple of violence-crazed gamers who were desperate for their own GTA IV fix?

Hardly. The pair promptly sold the game for cash. As Judge Beverley Lunt told the pair in court:

By your own admission this was a pre-planned robbery. You saw that this shop was opening at midnight to sell this X-Box game. You dressed yourselves in hoods.  You deliberately used bushes as cover to stalk your victim and ambush him and for what? For an X-Box game, valued at £40 which you sold for £20.

This is extraodinarily gratuitous violence because the whole thing was conducted in silence. There was no demand for the game to be handed over. It is only at the end when he is lying bleeding, having had his jaw broken and his nose broken that you took the game from his hand.

Judge Lunt sentenced Hughes and Aindow to two years each.

Comments

Re: GTA IV Robbers Get II Years in Prison

Oh, so it's ok that they handed the guy a beatdown but only stole his game.  I understand now.

Re: GTA IV Robbers Get II Years in Prison

Nonsense! These innocent young men were out for an invigorating midnight stroll and without warning they were infected with the nightmare spores emitted by GTA and suddenly became a professional pre-meditated violent assault team, THE LIKE OF WHICH YOU SEE IN VIDEO GAMES!!!!

Sorry, I think I was posessed by the ghost of jack thompson there. What? He's not dead? Oh, it must have been the ghost of his career...

Re: GTA IV Robbers Get II Years in Prison

Don't worry, it's happened to me before too.

Re: GTA IV Robbers Get II Years in Prison

THis is oen of those incidences that seems to make the anti gamer arguments fall apart

Yeah

I mean, if we gamers were even half the blood-crazed psychopaths that the critics are convinced we are, it would be the mugger, not the victim, that would have been lying in a bloodied, mangled heap.

IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am
james_fudgeme either.09/16/2014 - 8:54am
E. Zachary KnightI understand what Wikileaks twitter was getting at, but I have no clue what that article was getting at.09/16/2014 - 8:45am
Michael Chandra"You know how game journalists are a corrupt bunch that do shady dealings? Well so are the politicians at the NATO!" #clickbait09/16/2014 - 8:22am
james_fudgeit's simply a case of an org trying to latch onto a hashtag without knowing what it is about.09/16/2014 - 8:07am
E. Zachary KnightOk. I admit it. I have absolutely no clue what that article was trying to say. Can you explain it to me?09/16/2014 - 8:04am
Michael ChandraWhy am I not surprised seeing that coming from a man who allegedly didn't respect women's wishes regarding condom use?09/16/2014 - 8:01am
Michael Chandrahttp://www.newstatesman.com/media-mole/2014/09/wikileaks-wades-gamergate-says-nato-corrupt-video-games-journalism09/16/2014 - 8:00am
E. Zachary KnightGot a link?09/16/2014 - 7:58am
quiknkoldas in, they gave a big shout out to Gamergate09/16/2014 - 7:43am
quiknkoldWikileaks just joined Gamergate09/16/2014 - 7:42am
james_fudgePortlandia is good and strange.09/16/2014 - 7:04am
E. Zachary KnightGot that same recommendation on Twitter. So I guess that is a good sign.09/15/2014 - 8:39pm