U.K Game Publishers Dispute News Report that Govt. Has Chosen BBFC over PEGI

July 30, 2008 -

As GamePolitics reported this morning, a story in British newspaper The Telegraph claims that the U.K. government has already chosen the BBFC over industry favorite PEGI as the nation's future rating system.

MCVUK is now reporting that ELSPA, which represents U.K. game publishers, has disputed The Telegraph's story. An ELSPA rep told MCV:

The reports in parts of Fleet Street are, we would suggest, purely speculation. It is scaremongering and should be treated as such. The Government is now entering into a consulation period in which in which we are assured all the issues are being considered.

No decision has been made, and ELSPA will be fully engaged in this process in the months ahead.

GP: We can't help but note that ELSPA - not the British government - is denying the story about what the British government plans to do.

Comments

Re: U.K Game Publishers Dispute News Report that Govt. Has

To be fair: the only people reporting it are right-wing newspapers (because they are the ones pushing for this sort of thing) and MCV.

The specialist games media in the UK isn't so hot- the US (who don't really care about the UK's politics) have dominated the internet, which has taken the bottom out of print market, and we've not had anything that resembles proper, representation on TV since about 1998, so there is no real podium we can challenge politicians from.

This will get only the slightest mention in the UK games media, and even then it won't be as critical as it should be. The Byron Review as a whole has had a very easy ride from the games press, which I find very worrying. And now it could well be too late to do anything about it.

/b

Re: U.K Game Publishers Dispute News Report that Govt. Has

@The specialist games media in the UK isn't so hot@

www,gamesindustry.biz