Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

August 21, 2008 -

Stop playing Too Human for a few minutes and make yourself a player in November's presidential election instead.

Beginning next Monday, Xbox Live subscribers can register to vote while using the popular online gaming service.

The innovative feature comes as the result a partnership between Microsoft and Rock the Vote. XBL voter registration will go live just as the Democratic National Convention gets underway in Denver. In a press release, Microsoft describes the surprising move:

A leading gaming and entertainment platform just became a leading platform for change. Microsoft Corp. and Rock the Vote today announced a groundbreaking partnership that will allow Xbox 360 owners to register to vote, participate in presidential polls and voice their opinions to the presidential candidates.

Of the unprecedented partnership with XBL, Rock the Vote's Heather Smith commented:

Xbox is a natural partner to help us reach out to youth voters. To realize our goal of registering 2 million young Americans by this fall, we need to go where young Americans are, and there's no doubt in our minds that many are on Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE.

Xbox will be on hand at both conventions to promote the Rock the Vote partnership.

Via: Marketwatch

UPDATE: Voter registration will apparently not be finalized through XBL. Rock the Vote will apparently need to mail potential registrants a packet to complete.

By the way, you can link to Rock the Vote from GamePolitics via the link in our right sidebar. We're about three years ahead of XBL in implementing this...

Comments

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

Um...Rock the Vote has a certified registration process and everyone who registers through them is validly registered to vote.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

I think he was more implying that the servers, code, or whatever will be messed up and so the vote registering won't work from a technical standpoint.

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

I guess I pulled a Thompson and talked about something I didn't know about then.  xD

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

It's not a bad initiative. Makes the threshold to go vote a little lower, can't expect them to vote over XBL, security issues alone would kill that.
Personally I think that while it might not make all that many people vote, atleast it'll get them registering and perhaps even interested.

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

This means absolutely nothing. At least until you can actually vote via Xbox LIVE. If that ever happens.. wow, I don't even want to think about it.

Rock the Vote doesnt work on TV, on the Internet or anywhere else. You can tell kids to vote all you like, but unil you bring the ballot to them it accomplishes nothing.

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

I hope that one can never vote for something of this caliber via the net or any convenience device.  Now if one could sign up for an absentee ballot on there too I would be ok with that.

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

which brings up an interesting (well... not really) question... which do I distrust more? The Xbox... or a Diebold machine...

Poll