Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

August 21, 2008 -

Stop playing Too Human for a few minutes and make yourself a player in November's presidential election instead.

Beginning next Monday, Xbox Live subscribers can register to vote while using the popular online gaming service.

The innovative feature comes as the result a partnership between Microsoft and Rock the Vote. XBL voter registration will go live just as the Democratic National Convention gets underway in Denver. In a press release, Microsoft describes the surprising move:

A leading gaming and entertainment platform just became a leading platform for change. Microsoft Corp. and Rock the Vote today announced a groundbreaking partnership that will allow Xbox 360 owners to register to vote, participate in presidential polls and voice their opinions to the presidential candidates.

Of the unprecedented partnership with XBL, Rock the Vote's Heather Smith commented:

Xbox is a natural partner to help us reach out to youth voters. To realize our goal of registering 2 million young Americans by this fall, we need to go where young Americans are, and there's no doubt in our minds that many are on Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE.

Xbox will be on hand at both conventions to promote the Rock the Vote partnership.

Via: Marketwatch

UPDATE: Voter registration will apparently not be finalized through XBL. Rock the Vote will apparently need to mail potential registrants a packet to complete.

By the way, you can link to Rock the Vote from GamePolitics via the link in our right sidebar. We're about three years ahead of XBL in implementing this...

Comments

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

Um...Rock the Vote has a certified registration process and everyone who registers through them is validly registered to vote.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

I think he was more implying that the servers, code, or whatever will be messed up and so the vote registering won't work from a technical standpoint.

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

I guess I pulled a Thompson and talked about something I didn't know about then.  xD

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

It's not a bad initiative. Makes the threshold to go vote a little lower, can't expect them to vote over XBL, security issues alone would kill that.
Personally I think that while it might not make all that many people vote, atleast it'll get them registering and perhaps even interested.

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

This means absolutely nothing. At least until you can actually vote via Xbox LIVE. If that ever happens.. wow, I don't even want to think about it.

Rock the Vote doesnt work on TV, on the Internet or anywhere else. You can tell kids to vote all you like, but unil you bring the ballot to them it accomplishes nothing.

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

I hope that one can never vote for something of this caliber via the net or any convenience device.  Now if one could sign up for an absentee ballot on there too I would be ok with that.

Re: Xbox Live Partners with Rock the Vote

which brings up an interesting (well... not really) question... which do I distrust more? The Xbox... or a Diebold machine...

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am