Austin GDC Games Competition to Benefit Charity

August 27, 2008 -

Gamers who want to test their skills at the upcoming Austin Game Developers Conference will be making a charitable donation at the same time.

Twenty buck entry fees for the Level Up Charity Games competition will be donated to the ESA Foundation. Said Marc Mencher, CEO of competition sponsor GameRecruiter:

We have a long-standing commitment to supporting the educational needs of minority and female students who are interested in being part of the video game industry. By providing this support to the ESA Foundation’s Scholarship Program, we hope to allow deserving individuals to further their education and expand workplace diversity within our industry.

The September 17th competition at the Four Seasons Hotel Austin is open to all gamers. Featured titles include:

• Rock Band 2
  • Madden 08
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • I-Play Bowling

Comments

Re: Austin GDC Games Competition to Benefit Charity

So, those of us that are non-minority males are pretty much up the river it seems on most of this stuff.  I don't mind the event happening, but hate the double talk that this is ok, while the opposite would be "racially or sexually motiviated".  Just wonder why it can't be for the "educational needs of students who are interested..." instead of having to single groups out just to stay PC about it.

Zen aka Jeremy Powers
Editor and Host of the Zenspath Podcast (now on iTunes)
www.ZensPath.com
XBL: "PsychoticZen" PSN: "Zenspath"
Nintendo Network: "Psychoticzen", 3DS: "3024-7965-4819