Veterans Group Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of Age Restrictions

August 31, 2008 -

The Defense Deparment's Virtual Army Experience game continues to make waves as it tours air shows and summer festivals.

In the latest flap, the Ohio chapter of Veterans for Peace agreed to drop its planned protest after Army officials agreed not to admit players under 17 to the interactive game, which depict a firefight between U.S. soldiers and virtual insurgents. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports:

The Army recruiting video game originally targeted teens as young as 13 to use simulated machine guns to kill virtual enemies in a projected Middle East war setting. Show-goers sit in a replica of a Humvee, virtually speed through desert terrain and shoot fake machine guns at life-size pictures of people projected on a wraparound screen.

The Army utilizes the simulator as a recruitment tool.

Comments

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

I gave the VAE a go earlier this summer at Six Flags...it isn't that bad. The violence isn't graphic, nor do the enemies look realistic (the virtual part is running on the same engine as the PC game...which came out in 2002), and it's not going to make any sane 13-year-old want to join the army. A 17+ age restriction is overkill.

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

But you forget, the army is EVIL! They are a bunch of Nazi-terrorists!

(sarcasm)

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

you realize this protest was by VETERANS, right?

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

age heckswere in silly heads here *hands you a helmet and wodden gun* go paly in the yard or chase skirts like normal vets!

(god I been watching to much Keeping Up Appearances.....)

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
(in need of a bad overhaul)

---

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

I used to watch that with my grandma all the time, it was her favorite show on tv.

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

My gandmaw WAS like that 10-20 years ago while not that...insane..she did try to "keep up appearances". thankfully  shes just stubborn now adays...her and her 9X year old sis, both of them can be a hand full ><.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
(in need of a bad overhaul)

---

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

There were already age restrictions, and I don't doubt that the veteran groups knew that.

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

Fat chance!  EVen if they do, what won't stop underage players from trying to sneak in or stop the army from encouraging it?

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Vague Assurances About A Sliver Of The Game's Exposure

Re: Veterans Groups Drops Army Game Protest After Promise of

Haven't these guys heard of GTA 4? Our youth are far beyond help now. Just wait until after GTA 5... God help us!

My sites Cheap Netbook Vancouver Traffic Cheap Tel Domain