CBS News Interview Will Wright About Spore

September 18, 2008 -

CBS News correspondent Daniel Sieberg interviews Will Wright about Spore. It's a DRM-free conversation and the second installment of this week's three-parter, The Games Our Children Play.

Catch part one, detailing the landmark Teens, Video Games & Civics report issued by the Pew Internet & American Life Project here.

Comments

Re: CBS News Interview Will Wright About Spore

He should explain why they made the space stage as annoying as they did...

and I want his opinion on DRM and how it destroyed his game or if he thinks its fine and dandy...

Re: CBS News Interview Will Wright About Spore

Last I heard from a religious family, games like this don't belong in the home.  It teaches evolution, and since dinosaurs never existed, and their fossils were put in the Earth to test our faith, we shouldn't play games that promote evolution.  -This message is sponsored by Sarah Palin

When are people going to push for her to answer Matt Damon's question?  What are her beliefs behind dinosaurs?  What about times even before that? Where we have proof of creatures far older than dinosaur days?

Back on topic though, I like SimCity more than Spore, I need to get my SNES and play SimCity again...  Oh the good old days...  I finally beat the game and got the Mario Statue 3 years ago, haha.  Yes, it took me 15 years to get the Mario Statue.  I suck, but hey, I did it at least.

Re: CBS News Interview Will Wright About Spore

I bought Spore, it was ok, but even since buying it, I've been playing Dwarf Fortress more, and that's Freeware....

Re: CBS News Interview Will Wright About Spore

"Games Our Children Play"

G*ddamnit.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Matthew Wilsonhttp://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/11/music-publishers-finally-pull-the-trigger-sue-an-isp-over-piracy/ this is just stupid.11/29/2014 - 12:56am
Papa MidnightWhat Andrew Said. I also got directed to a Blu-Ray for Dragon Ball Z.11/29/2014 - 12:38am
Andrew EisenI don't get it. That's a link to a Dragon Ball Z set.11/29/2014 - 12:21am
MaskedPixelantehttps://hmv.ca/en/Search/Details?sku=763440 Real life Metroidvania.11/28/2014 - 8:33pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/25/lee-rigby-report-internet-firms-safe-haven-terrorists-pm wow... come on uk really?11/28/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/two_tetris_downloads_to_be_removed_from_the_3ds_eshop_in_europe Tetris to be removed from the 3DS VC at the end of the year in Europe. Other regions unknown, but will probably all happen too.11/28/2014 - 9:16am
Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm