Cartoonists Bring Cheer to Soldier Wounded While Gaming

October 7, 2008 -

Occasionally here at GamePolitics we pay honor to the sacrifices made by gamers serving in the military.

Along that line, we note an unusual human interest story posted on The Mad Blog, which is penned by Mad magazine cartoonist Tom Richmond.

Richmond writes about visiting a U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany with a group of fellow cartoonists. There they came upon a soldier who had been badly injured while gaming during his free time:

Eventually we made it up to the ICU, where we saw a few seriously wounded soldiers. The first young man we saw told us a story of how he had been serving in Afghanistan and was in his tent taking a little R&R playing a video game when a projectile explosive hit. He was missing a part of one leg and the other was damaged.

Chip did a hilarious drawing of him playing his video game which was exploding and he was thinking “Man, this video game is so realistic!” That sounds a little insensitive but the fact is these guys like to talk about their injuries, how they happened and what was going on. He got a big laugh out of that. He was hurt but was going to be okay. He was in a lot of pain but I think we brought some laughs to him.

Comments

Re: Cartoonists Bring Cheer to Soldier Wounded While Gaming

Sorry, double post due to lag

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Re: Cartoonists Bring Cheer to Soldier Wounded While Gaming

I find it ironic how it's often the guys at the front lines with a good sense of humor over their predicament, as compared to the hyper sensitive concern groups at home that think they're doing them a favor by being totally anal.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Re: Cartoonists Bring Cheer to Soldier Wounded While Gaming

"Chip did a hilarious drawing of him playing his video game which was exploding and he was thinking “Man, this video game is so realistic!” "

I would've loved to see his face when they showed him the drawing.

---------------------------------------------------- God created alcohol so that the Scottish and the Irish could never take over the world. -Chris 'Jedi' Knight

---------------------------------------------------- Debates are like merry go rounds. Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it's over they have the same positions they started in.

MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm