EA Confirms Obama Ads in Burnout: Paradise

October 14, 2008 -

Last week GamePolitics broke the news that in-game ads for Barack Obama were apparently running inside Burnout: Paradise on Xbox Live. Although we sought comment several times from publisher Electronic Arts before running that story, no confirmation was forthcoming.

GigaOm, however, managed to get the official word from Holly Rockwood, EA's director of corporate communications, late yesterday:

I can confirm that the Obama campaign has paid for in-game advertising in Burnout. Like most television, radio and print outlets, we accept advertising from credible political candidates. Like political spots on the television networks, these ads do not reflect the political policies of EA or the opinions of its development teams.

In the meantime, we've got an exclusive follow-up with Dragunov765, the gamer who took those great photos which originally brought the ads to our attention:

The photos were taken Oct. 6th, 2008 in my living room with an Olympus 550UZ... I imported them directly from the camera into Photoshop because Photobucket won't handle any images over 1Mb and I generally shoot in super HQ...  Beyond reducing the file size for posting to the internet, no other adjustments were made to the images.  The files I sent you were the images that came off the camera.  I would have taken more, but I didn't even have the memory stick in there because I'd just completed downloading some other photos and hadn't put it back in.

The funny thing is that I had already played through 97% of the game months ago and it was collecting dust on the shelf.  I had only tossed it in because we just bought the new TV and one of my daughter's friends wanted to see the motorcycles in action.  We'd been buzzing around the city in various vehicles at high speed for about half an hour before I happened to crash right in front of one of the billboards (Burnout's in-game camera induces vertigo if you try to manipulate it so you normally have to get a car airborne before you can actually read any of the signs close up).  It was a genuine "WTF?" moment.

Comments

Re: EA Confirms Obama Ads in Burnout: Paradise

How about this, if we're going to be subjected to ads in games and the developers are going to make big money off of those ads, why not make the games free?

Re: EA Confirms Obama Ads in Burnout: Paradise

"you normally have to get a car airborne before you can actually read any of the signs close up"

What I find funnier than political advertising in games is that no one noticed it because players can't even see the ads. Guess those ad firms still haven't quite figured out games.

-Christopher J. Rock

-Christopher J. Rock http://blog.sokay.net/

Re: EA Confirms Obama Ads in Burnout: Paradise

Point for discussion:

Does the FCC play a role in in-game advertising, and if so, does the "equal time" rule apply?  If not, should they become involved in order appy television advertising rules to in-game ads?

Re: EA Confirms Obama Ads in Burnout: Paradise

I'm sure EA wouldn't refuse to let the McCain camp buy their own ads if they wanted to.

Re: EA Confirms Obama Ads in Burnout: Paradise

Gah, sad thing is, The Sims 3 is going to follow suit since I've seen pictures of ads in that as well.  Though that won't bother me since I won't be playing it.  But honestly, I don't want Obama in my video games.  I don't like him, but tbh, I don't want any political ads, or any ads period in my game.

Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm