Green Bay Packers Take on USMC in Online Madden, Halo 3 Matches

October 19, 2008 -

A U.S. Marine serving in Iraq bested a member of the Green Bay Packers in an online game of Madden on Friday.

According to the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Cpl. Tim Headricks, a Green Bay native, beat Packers lineman Mark Tauscher in a close game. Headricks controlled the Packers, while Taushcer too the reigns of the Indianapolis Colts.

The competition was arranged by a nonprofit group called Pro vs. Joe, which arranges matches between professional athletes and military personnel serving overseas.

Two other Packer linemen, Mike Montgomery and Tony Moll, played Halo 3 against Staff Sgt. James Wagner, who is stationed in Guantanamo Bay. The Marine lost:

I got slaughtered. I thought my video game skills were better, but we made it credible. The kids took care of business. Those Packers players must have a lot of time on their hands.

Here's a bit more on the Pro vs. Joe program, including news that three Philadelphia Eagles participated in Madden games with military personnel last month.

Comments

Re: Green Bay Packers Take on USMC in Online Madden, Halo 3

There are two types of news on this site. There are posts that genuinely have to do with the politics of gaming, and then there are stories like this that belong on Oprah or something.

Gaming isn't exclusive from the rest of the world now, so I don't think posts like these are really necessary.

Re: Green Bay Packers Take on USMC in Online Madden, Halo 3

Those Marines are probably really bummed out now that Favre isn't with the Packers anymore.

"Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance." -Laurie Halse Anderson

Re: Green Bay Packers Take on USMC in Online Madden, Halo 3

Is this any link to the "pros vs Joes" show that used to air on TV? Where they would pit big talking couch potatoes against Pro Athletes?

Re: Green Bay Packers Take on USMC in Online Madden, Halo 3

Seems a bit of an odd charity concept. Sure, the troops need morale boosters and so on, but surely there's other things that could be done for them that would improve their situation quite a bit more.

Re: Green Bay Packers Take on USMC in Online Madden, Halo 3

i don't know.  it only takes a few hours to play but it would sure make my day if i was stuck out in the sandbox to have a game with fame on my free time.

Here are we -- and yonder yawns the universe.

Here are we -- and yonder yawns the universe.

Wonderkarpugh. I hate Christmas Shopping. I never know what to get people11/24/2014 - 7:47pm
WonderkarpAgain, Internet, any claim on the internet can be faked, but what if it is real?11/24/2014 - 7:42pm
Papa MidnightAh, but is it.... 2 Legit? 2 Legit to Quit!11/24/2014 - 7:39pm
Wonderkarpbut it looks legit11/24/2014 - 7:36pm
WonderkarpI know I told Andrew I'd stop reading Ralph Retort....but this is big. FTC Getting involved in GamerGate Internet Journalism Ethics. http://theralphretort.com/reports-gamergate-helps-achieve-historic-win-internet-ethics/ Might need confirmation,11/24/2014 - 7:36pm
MaskedPixelantehttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thimbleweedpark/thimbleweed-park-a-new-classic-point-and-click-adv/posts Ron Gilbert's LucasArts throwback adventure is funded.11/24/2014 - 6:07pm
WonderkarpSo Madlibs Demands? Fun game11/24/2014 - 6:01pm
Andrew EisenHackers hack Sony Pictures. Threaten to release data if their demands aren't met. Don't actually issue any demands. http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/24/sony-pictures-shut-down-by-hackers/11/24/2014 - 5:52pm
Wonderkarpi would watch that cause amc11/24/2014 - 5:06pm
MaskedPixelanteBreaking Bugs, new series now in development at AMC. A QA tester for a major game company loses his job when a game launches with major bugs and turns to cooking meth to get by.11/24/2014 - 5:03pm
WonderkarpStar Wars Spinoff is Heist Movie Maybe. Retcons Dark Forces http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/rumor-2016-star-wars-spin-off-film-is-a-heist-story11/24/2014 - 4:50pm
Wonderkarppersonally, I have no opinion other than the Ferguson Police used ridiculous amounts of force in that situation. Other than that, I wasnt there when it happened, I have zero idea what happened. so I cant say anything.11/24/2014 - 4:43pm
james_fudgeyeah :\11/24/2014 - 4:05pm
WonderkarpOh man. Grand Jury verdict coming from Ferguson11/24/2014 - 3:54pm
Wonderkarpits a nasty "Unable to locate DLC" bug, that affects PS4 owners because you cant redownload DLC without deleting your saved game. And the only way to play the game is to wipe your save. Hours wasted.11/24/2014 - 3:51pm
WonderkarpDay 7 of WWE 2k15's Game Breaking Bugs with no resolution. its as bad as the Halo Servers and Unity's Floating eyes/teeth11/24/2014 - 3:50pm
Wonderkarpgranted, looking for sage advice in youtune comments id like looking for ducks in a desert11/24/2014 - 3:34pm
Wonderkarpoh dearie me, im being harrased. wheres the colbert report when you need it! i need to plug my patreon because everything on the web is litterall11/24/2014 - 3:32pm
MonteEisen, Ya the 3D clone wars started out aweful, but it actually got really good in later seasons. Particularly AFTER Ahsoka grows up a bit and stops being annoying. I Liked how the series ended11/24/2014 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenI rather liked First Class but while most thought Future Past was pretty good, the trailers made it look awful and I haven't seen it yet. Come to think of it, I've only seen X-Men 1 and 2 and First Class.11/24/2014 - 3:22pm