Resident Evil 5 Producer Slams Racism Charges

October 27, 2008 -

Most gamers will recall the race controversy sparked by the Resident Evil 5 trailer released at E3 2007. Set in Africa,  the trailer showed a white protagonist mowing down hordes of black zombie villagers.

As the long-awaited game draws closer to its March, 2009 U.S. launch, CVG serves up an interview with Capcom's Masachika Kawata, an RE5 producer who says his team had no racial agenda in the game design:

We chose Africa [as RE5's setting] because we're extending the storyline logically. Following the tradition of the Resident Evil franchise, you'll remember from Code Veronica - the Progenitor virus comes from Africa so we wanted to go back to the root of where the virus originated.

For the people who think it's racist... well, we can't please everyone. We're in the entertainment business - we're not here to state our political opinion or anything like that. It's unfortunate that some people felt that way.

We've gone where the story has taken us...

Via: Edge Online

Comments

Re: Resident Evil 5 Producer Slams Racism Charges

And RE4 was "racist" against hispanics. Yes, it is the same thing. We all suffer from racism from time to time (even us whites), so don't try to pretend one's race deserves special treatment.

Re: Resident Evil 5 Producer Slams Racism Charges

OMFG I just read that thread. Holy shit, I did not see worse fail in my life. Not everyone that posted comments there fails, just a few that were really bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I AM DOOMED TO HAUNT JACK THOMPSON'S DREAMS UNTIL HIS CRUSADE AGAINST VIDEO GAMES ENDS.

Poll