Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

October 29, 2008 -

Is McCain gaining ground on Obama?

Is Obama surging ahead?

Second Life users can check out the latest presidential poll data, thanks to a clever, interactive polling map created by Steve Nelson, who also devised the SL-Twitter mashup we reported on earlier this month.

At his Clear Night Sky blog, Steve describes some of the tech behind his latest creation:

Capitol Hill in Second Life continues to draw visitors from around the world interested in the political season... I’ve added an electoral map that shows most recent polling on a state-by-state basis...

I may channel my inner Brokaw and use the map in manual mode on election night, or I might challenge myself to quickly find a site that can be Dapper-scraped and feed the board automatically.

Comments

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

And people living real lives can do it using a web browser...

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

Not anything new, Electoral-vote.com did it 4 years ago (and still does it now)

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

Yeah, "most recent" isn't entirely informative when your latest poll might be from a suspect source.  Better to at least get an aggregate, or better yet a scrutinized analysis.  Or heck, they could probably just change the map to the front page of 538.

---
The Mammon Industry

---
Fangamer

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

538 is the most accurate map. In general, electoral maps get more accurate the closer we get to election due to having less undecided voters.

Fox's map shows up on default, look just how to the right it leans. Why the hell are Iowa and Oregon toss-up states? Now compare that to RCP and Politico when you click on the buttons. Politico's left bias is as big as Fox's right bias.

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

Dear Lord. People stillt ake those seriously? Every single poll I've seen has various swing states decided for both candidates. No two can basically agree. It's hard to take em seriously anymroe.

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

Andrew EisenDammit, now I'm all depressed. I must find pictures of kittens.10/24/2014 - 2:38pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.businessinsider.com/shooting-at-pilchuck-high-school-in-marysville-washington-2014-1010/24/2014 - 2:15pm
Andrew EisenIn case anyone was wondering, Nintendo's eShop no longer does that "you don't make money until you've sold x units" thing. http://www.develop-online.net/news/nintendo-no-minimum-sales-needed-for-eshop-revenues/019921010/24/2014 - 1:52pm
MaskedPixelanteGOG needs better web developers. Someone dug into their countdown timer, found numbers using fonts from Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Monkey Island, and pretty much confirmed that LucasArts is coming on Tuesday.10/24/2014 - 1:43pm
Papa MidnightI've seen glowing reviews for Bayonetta 2 so far.10/24/2014 - 1:17pm
Andrew EisenI'm not picking up Bayonetta. Today. Tomorrow's not looking good either. I'll get it eventually though!10/24/2014 - 12:23pm
Infophile@MP: No it doesn't. You're a terrible human being for completely unrelated reasons. (/snark)10/24/2014 - 12:15pm
MaskedPixelantePicked up Bayonetta 2, which according to Polygon means I am now a terrible human being.10/24/2014 - 11:58am
Matthew Wilsonofcourse not he did a video on the new civ game just yesterday.10/24/2014 - 10:32am
Papa MidnightYou think a bit of cancer surgery would keep The Cynical Brit from railing about bad PC ports? Not a chance! :)10/24/2014 - 10:15am
Matthew Wilsonmight be a bit soon only becouse he got out of cancer surgery last week, but ask his email is public.10/24/2014 - 9:56am
Papa MidnightHell, set up a Google Hangout or Skype call, and I'll be happy to join in.10/24/2014 - 9:34am
Papa MidnightBring Totalbiscuit on SuperPAC for Saturday!10/24/2014 - 9:32am
CMinerThere is no journalism/ethics concern that you've raised that would be made weaker by not raising it under the umbrella of GamerGate.10/24/2014 - 9:32am
CMinerNeo: You want to start some healing? Stop using the GamerGate hashtag. Even if you don't believe that it originated with harassers, you have to see that it's been irrevocably tainted by their actions.10/24/2014 - 9:31am
MaskedPixelanteGOG has a four day countdown to their next publisher. All hints suggest Disney, but no guarantee it'll be LucasArts.10/24/2014 - 6:58am
Neo_DrKefkawith a neutral party Moderating it. I've been waiting a long time for a GamerGate to happen but now all I want is the healing to start. Weird huh? Gamers don't need to be attacking gamers we should all be on the same side10/24/2014 - 12:39am
Neo_DrKefkaRight now from what I seen your tweet and the other guys tweet there are hard feelings. Until we start a dialogue with each other I think it will get worse before it will get better. I hope you guys work something out meet in a neutral stream10/24/2014 - 12:37am
Neo_DrKefkaThanks James. Even if a hot/hard headed person likes me thinks the public needs to sit down and discuss this together. We all might not agree right now but if the public does not start talking to each other we are not going anywhere.10/24/2014 - 12:36am
james_fudgeHey guys I had a nap because, getting old! I'll take a look.10/24/2014 - 12:01am