Classic Book Collection Headed to DS

December 1, 2008 -

They say that confession is good for the soul, so I'll cop to a belief that Sony's PSP is, from a technical standpoint, cooler than the DS.

But the PSP is damned near on life support while the DS not only has a ton of games, but awesome and innovative DS non-games that keep popping up as well. First there was a DS cartridge to teach yourself Chinese. Then there was an SAT prep course on DS; a quit smoking self-help DS title; even a cookbook. And soon, readers will be able to own 100 classic tomes on a single DS cart.

Eurogamer reports that Nintendo, in partnership with publisher Harper-Collins, will release the 100 Classic Book Collection for DS on Boxing Day (Dec. 26) in the European market:

You read holding the DS like a book, and flicking through the pages with the stylus. There are search and bookmark functions - and additional works available to download via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Amazon has the full list of books included. You get 21 Shakespeare plays, 13 Dickens novels, and all the canonical corset-busting classics you'd expect from Jane Austen, Charlott Bronte, Thomas Hardy, Herman Melville and the like.

The collection has a lighter side too, though, with a couple of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes mysteries, some high adventure from Alexandre Dumas, Jules Verne and Robert Louis Stevenson, wit from Wilde, Swift and Twain, an Edgar Allen Poe collection, and even a bit of racy old D. H. Lawrence for bored housewives everywhere.

Check out the Amazon UK product page.

GP: So, is this product coming to the U.S. market, or does Nintendo think that we Americans are illiterate barbarians?

Via: Destructoid

Comments

Re: Classic Book Collection Headed to DS

the Electronic Book Readers that are out there, have a certain color scheme to them to better simulate the appearence of text on paper. The human eye gets strained when reading on a monitor for an extended period of time. I wonder if the DS title will remedy this problem.

The Kindle is the best E-book reader out right now simply because of the massive collection of books at a resonable price for it.  Still, I prefer to hold a the weight of a solid book in my hands. It is a different experience using an e-book, but it isn't really a worse one.

"