EA Exec Steps Up to Help At-risk Kids

December 4, 2008 -

As we move into the season of giving, it's heartwarming to learn that a top exec with EA Vancouver is giving back to his community in a major way.

As reported by the Globe and Mail, senior VP Rory Armes (left) is among Canadian execs who have gotten involved with Canadian Business for Social Responsibility, a nonprofit which connects businesses with social service organizations.

From the newspaper report:

For Mr. Armes, a commitment to help Vancouver's at-risk youth seemed like a natural fit... His mid-October tour took him to the Potluck Cafe, the Urban Native Youth Association, PLEA Community Services Society of B.C., and Directions Youth Services.

"It drove a point home," says Mr. Armes. "Most of us have teenaged children and we could identify with the problems faced by the kids we met. In our case we could see an immediate fit between what they need and what we can provide."

That fit included making the Potluck Cafe a sort of unofficial caterer to Electronic Arts, and donating used computer equipment and software to Directions Youth Services.

"They told us they needed things that would help boost the self-esteem of the kids they dealt with," Mr. Armes says...

"We are also offering paid time off through the week to any of our people who might want to spend the hours from, say, two to four teaching these kids how to operate the software," he adds.

GP: Kudos to Rory Armes and EA!

Via: Our sister-site GameCulture

Comments

Re: EA Exec Steps Up to Help At-risk Kids

He's still a dick.

---- There is a limit for both politicians against video games, and video games against politicians. http://www.goteamretard.com

Re: EA Exec Steps Up to Help At-risk Kids

Well they have to do SOMETHING about their image after that whole DRM debacle.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Re: EA Exec Steps Up to Help At-risk Kids

Hell, before the DRM issue, they were whoring themselves out at E3.  They pretty much offered id to publish their games at cost, and other amazing deals to get people to say good things about them.

---

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Re: EA Exec Steps Up to Help At-risk Kids

Because Gabe Newell has zero integerty to say that the EA partnership deal is actually a good thing.

Re: EA Exec Steps Up to Help At-risk Kids

*gasp*

Maybe the whole thing is really a pro-DRM brainwashing stunt!  They are offering PTO, after all!

"There is no sin except stupidity." - Oscar Wilde

"De minimus non curat lex"

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm