Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

December 19, 2008 -

One of several Flash games parodying the recent Iraqi shoe tossing incident has been sold on Ebay, according to Reuters.

SockAndAwe was created by Alex Tew, an Englishman. Tew commented on the sale:

We've spent the last three days trying to keep the servers alive and we're meant to be working on our other main startup PopJam. So we whacked it on eBay. It's really cool. From Monday concept, Tuesday launch, Wednesday growth, we've had a Thursday exit -- so it's kind of a micro-Web start up if you like.

It was just a bit of fun, a bit of an experiment. It's actually turned out to be a useful fundraising exercise for our start-up, which is good given the present economic circumstances.

An unspecified British media firm bought the game for 5,215 pounds ($7,818).

Comments

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Since this is the price for the domain and the entire site's contents, I'd say the media firm is buying it more for the website traffic than the game. It's a clever move for both the seller and the buyer, well provided that the buyer can quickly recover the $7,800 if the website pays for itself.

I could probably code such a game if I caught up with Flash, but I'd suck at promoting it :P

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Who knew. That has to be the easiest $7,800 ever made.

The Honest Game - http://www.thehonestgame.org

The Honest Game - http://www.thehonestgame.org

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Well played sit well played indeed.

I am surpised Ebay lets you sale those though...
=================================
Pirates,Shearers,Lenders and downloaders are not a market that can be taped by the mainstream.
---------------------------------
I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Wow.  I can't even be bothered to play games like this, much less shell out $7800 for it.

"There is no sin except stupidity." - Oscar Wilde

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Its amazing how much money you cn make off website hits alone.

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

The British Media firm would appear to be Fubra, as they now have their name at the bottom of the SockAndAwe site.

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

So, they sold the rights to the game and code or something? That's pretty cool. They also got a nice chunk of change for such a simple game.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

They prolly sold the whole deal, domain name(sockandawe.com), flash game and website code. I noticed that they had a little blurb of a link that they wanted to sell the domain name and everything when i played it the other day.

------------------------------------

------------------------------------ I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Thats actually a rather neat idea for making money off a bit of IP.

black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm
Big PermNow that steam refunds are a thing, I'd hope they care more about not releasing a buggy mess.08/04/2015 - 8:34pm
MattsworknameI really think someone should get on bethesda abotu this and find out if there gonna fix it for the anthology, and if those fixs will be provide to those who already own the software on steam08/04/2015 - 8:24pm
Mattsworknamethey fix it, I fear this is gonna be a problem cause it means 2 games will be nearly unusa le for a large number of those buying the game08/04/2015 - 8:23pm
MattsworknameSo, I have a concern. Im super pumped for fallout 4, but I noticed bethesda is also selling an anthology. Which is a great idea, save that both Fallout 3 and New vegas are near unusable on anything paste windows 7, and even on 7 it's a buggy mess. Unless08/04/2015 - 8:22pm
benohawkI've had no issues so far08/04/2015 - 6:45pm
MattsworknameSame here so far, minus some issues with a few old games, it's been solid for me. I do think they need to adjust some of the interface in the start menu, but I can work with it08/04/2015 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI like it, havent had any major issues.08/04/2015 - 5:45pm
MattsworknameSo, now t hta we have had time to mess with it, whats everyones view on windows 10?08/04/2015 - 5:43pm
james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm