Midway Staves Off Bankruptcy For Another Month

January 7, 2009 -

As GamePolitics reported last month, Mortal Kombat publisher Midway was sold at the fire sale price of $100,000 to mystery investor Mark Thomas, who also assumed $150 million worth of Midway debt.

The troubled company's creditors held the right to demand repayment later this month, a move which could have driven the final nail into Midway's corporate coffin. But Edge is reporting that Midway's creditors have agreed to extend the deadline to February 19th.

It's worth noting that Midway is scheduled to release Wheelman on February 16th. Could sales and Metacritic scores of the Vin Diesel game help note-holders make up their minds about Midway's fate?

As Wedbush-Morgan analyst Michael Pachter told us last month, it is in the creditors' best interests if Midway survives:

Creditors cannot expect Midway to repay unless the company remains in business.  If the creditors compel bankruptcy liquidation, they'll get something, but arguably less than the full $150 million.  Midway's assets are worth something, but in this market, it is hard to figure out how much.  As a comparison, THQ has an enterprise value of only $80 million, so Midway's assets in liquidation would have to be worth twice as much as THQ's (as a going concern) for the creditors to be repaid.

My guess is that Midway works out a deal with the creditors and remains in business, but they are going to have to start generating sustainable profits soon, or their creditors will become impatient.

Comments

Re: Midway Staves Off Bankruptcy For Another Month

We cannot let Midway die off. There needs to be a ground swell of support for this company!! Even if Wheelman sucks, support it. Its what people need to do. That is of course if anyone actually cares? Please care about a gaming institution like Midway. And for the record, no I don't work for Midway or have any insider interest.

I'm new, so be gentle on me!
My site register tel domain names

Re: Midway Staves Off Bankruptcy For Another Month

I just want This is Vegas and all associated DLC - been looking forward to that game more than any other since I heard about it.

So glad this should make the cut-date!

Poll

How do you feel about microtransactions in $60 video games?:

MattsworknameOk, finally got a chance to look at the R mika trailer for SF 5, and I Heart her so bloody much. She just looks like pure fun to play as and is SO colorful. All the YES!08/28/2015 - 3:23am
PHX Corphttp://www.gamnesia.com/news/sony-is-disabling-users-from-archiving-their-ps4-livestreams-of-until-dawn Sony is Disabling Users from Archiving Their PS4 Livestreams of Until Dawn08/27/2015 - 8:47pm
MattsworknameAndrew: SOrry I didnt get back, i went to bed before I saw your post. The Producer is listed as Arbitor36508/27/2015 - 6:06pm
Andrew EisenNope.08/27/2015 - 4:17pm
ZippyDSMleeDid you guys cover Fatal Frame 5 being nintendo Eshop only?08/27/2015 - 3:55pm
Big Perm120 bucks for a tetanus shot. Thanks Obama08/27/2015 - 3:01pm
Andrew EisenMatthew - Of course they do. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Hell, Quiet's already been cosplayed quite a bit.08/27/2015 - 1:25pm
Big PermThere's been some pretty good Kill La Kill cosplay08/27/2015 - 12:56pm
Matthew WilsonI saw someone cosplay as the main charector from kill la kill last year at pax, so people do it.....08/27/2015 - 12:55pm
Andrew EisenPerm - Well yeah, Kojima himself said something along the lines of "Cosplay this, I dare you! No, seriously. Please cosplay this!" I was just wondering if there was an in-universe explanation.08/27/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenCheck out last week's story on The State of Play book for an updated cover and a list of all the authors and their essay titles! http://gamepolitics.com/2015/08/21/state-play-looks-current-state-video-games08/27/2015 - 12:44pm
Big PermI figured it was because titties are awesome08/27/2015 - 12:37pm
Andrew EisenI'm still waiting to see if any reviews spill the beans on the story reasons behind Quiet's goofy getup in Metal Gear Solid 508/27/2015 - 12:33pm
ZippyDSMleeHave you seen what the Deva wrestlers wear? Now lets get all that Japan only DLC for DOA over here, and DOA Volly ball,ect let the whining commence!08/27/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonsuprisingly, there has not been the negative reaction I was expecting.08/27/2015 - 12:13pm
Andrew EisenWe should devote a segment to R. Mika's costume on the podcast. It'll be great!08/27/2015 - 11:40am
Andrew EisenMatt - So... who is the producer of the video you linked?08/27/2015 - 11:15am
ZippyDSMleeAnd its not as bad as rumble roses :P08/27/2015 - 11:14am
ZippyDSMleeE. Zachary Knight: I dunno wrestling is about spectacle nd bad costumes are part and parcel of it..08/27/2015 - 11:13am
Big PermThis costume is amazing. Praise it08/27/2015 - 10:59am