In Congress, DMCA Reformer Lands Key Subcommittee Chair

January 9, 2009 -

Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA) has been picked to lead an important Congressional subcommittee, and that's good news for game consumers.

As MediaPost reports, Boucher will chair the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet. From MediaPost:

As a longtime proponent of consumers' rights to lawfully copy films, books and other material, Boucher is considered a likely opponent of any entertainment industry efforts to restrict the Web. Among other measures, he is likely to oppose attempts to require Internet service providers to filter networks for pirated material.

Boucher also has tried to revamp the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to make it more consumer-friendly... Boucher's bill would have specified that the anti-circumvention rules do not apply in certain situations, such as when the purpose of getting around the restrictions was to access a work in order to criticize it or report about it...

In 2002, Boucher authored a strident column extolling the benefits of fair use... Boucher also supports net neutrality initiatives, as does President-elect Barack Obama.

In 2007 the Entertainment Consumers Association endorsed Rep. Boucher's fair use legislation, although the bill ultimately failed to pass.

Full Disclosure Dept: The ECA is the parent company of GamePolitics

Comments

Re: In Congress, DMCA Reformer Lands Key Subcommittee Chair

Maybe they'll finally just strike down the DMCA, tell the RIAA and MPAA to go roll in the billions they're still making, and not drive all the pirates into supporting darknets that WILL mask really heinous cybercrime?

Glad to see a congressman with half a brain on this.

Re: In Congress, DMCA Reformer Lands Key Subcommittee Chair

Man, reading this actually made my day.

I'm glad we have someone in a position to help the consumer and a track record that shows his interest is in people's right to own what they buy. Here's to hoping he can deliver :)

------------------------------------

------------------------------------ I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Re: In Congress, DMCA Reformer Lands Key Subcommittee Chair

This will either be really good, or really bad.

Let's hope he truly believes in the consumer.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm