The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

January 12, 2009 -

While the video game development business has been expanding in Louisiana in recent years, officials in New Orleans believe that the Big Easy deserves a larger slice of the pie.

To that end, New Orleans City Business reports that officials there have formed the Digital Media Alliance, a group whose lofty goal is to make New Orleans "a world leader in digital and new media."

Officials point to a similar organization which - along with tax incentives - helped persuade Electronic Arts to establish a game testing center in Baton Rouge last year. From the report:

While the initial focus is on video game designers and Web programmers, the industry includes a broader segment of what [one official] called “knowledge workers,” a description that includes those in creative design to architecture to film to music...

One advantage our area offers is lower labor costs... An employer could pay a programmer $50,000 in New Orleans, but that same programmer would be paid 50 percent more in New York or San Francisco, he said, adding that the programmer’s lifestyle would be twice as good here.

Hecht said it is paramount that the New Orleans region market itself to the industry. During the current economic downturn, the region offers a “combination of culture, cost of living and incentives” and “a very attractive alternative” for the digital media industry, he said.

Comments

Re: The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

If only a few things in Australia would look at Videogaming in a more serious way,

like in my area where "no one" even knows where the top Australian Developers are.

Like at my local University, Videogaming is not even mentioned as a employment opportunity.

So I may as well go to somewhere closer to the city where I am if I am going to find a job in where I want.

TBoneTony

Re: The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

Sounds about as enticing as moving to a third world country.

Re: The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

Yeah... I am going to have to look into this more later today...

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Re: The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

All around me I see tax incentives and such working to promote game development. But here in Oklahoam I am having a hard time getting the government to even look at the issue. Time to step it up a notch I think.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm