The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

January 12, 2009 -

While the video game development business has been expanding in Louisiana in recent years, officials in New Orleans believe that the Big Easy deserves a larger slice of the pie.

To that end, New Orleans City Business reports that officials there have formed the Digital Media Alliance, a group whose lofty goal is to make New Orleans "a world leader in digital and new media."

Officials point to a similar organization which - along with tax incentives - helped persuade Electronic Arts to establish a game testing center in Baton Rouge last year. From the report:

While the initial focus is on video game designers and Web programmers, the industry includes a broader segment of what [one official] called “knowledge workers,” a description that includes those in creative design to architecture to film to music...

One advantage our area offers is lower labor costs... An employer could pay a programmer $50,000 in New Orleans, but that same programmer would be paid 50 percent more in New York or San Francisco, he said, adding that the programmer’s lifestyle would be twice as good here.

Hecht said it is paramount that the New Orleans region market itself to the industry. During the current economic downturn, the region offers a “combination of culture, cost of living and incentives” and “a very attractive alternative” for the digital media industry, he said.

Comments

Re: The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

If only a few things in Australia would look at Videogaming in a more serious way,

like in my area where "no one" even knows where the top Australian Developers are.

Like at my local University, Videogaming is not even mentioned as a employment opportunity.

So I may as well go to somewhere closer to the city where I am if I am going to find a job in where I want.

TBoneTony

Re: The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

Sounds about as enticing as moving to a third world country.

Re: The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

Yeah... I am going to have to look into this more later today...

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Re: The Big Easy Wants to Get Its Game On

All around me I see tax incentives and such working to promote game development. But here in Oklahoam I am having a hard time getting the government to even look at the issue. Time to step it up a notch I think.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/25/lee-rigby-report-internet-firms-safe-haven-terrorists-pm wow... come on uk really?11/28/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/two_tetris_downloads_to_be_removed_from_the_3ds_eshop_in_europe Tetris to be removed from the 3DS VC at the end of the year in Europe. Other regions unknown, but will probably all happen too.11/28/2014 - 9:16am
Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am