Obama Inauguration Featured on Xbox Live

January 21, 2009 -

President Barack Obama's status as pop culture icon extends to Xbox Live as well as, seemingly, everywhere else.

Joystiq notes that the Obama inauguration was featured on XBL last evening:

Log into Xbox Live tonight and the first thing you'll see is ... a photo of President Obama from today's inauguration. Indeed, the spotlight of the Spotlight channel is today's ceremony, including video of Obama and Vice President Joe Biden being sworn into office, the 44th President's inaugural speech and more.

Even the Movies and TV Shows categories have taken on the theme, featuring the likes of The West Wing and -- wait a second -- Mars Attacks? Yes, the Tim Burton camp-fest is inexplicably among the inaugural offerings...

Indeed, the Obama features are still up this morning.

Obama, as GamePolitics readers will recall, was the runaway choice among Xbox Live users in political polling conducted by the online gaming venue during the run-up to November's election (see: Xbox Live is a Blue State).

The Obama campaign also created a stir with its groundbreaking in-game ads, which were seen only on Xbox Live. The XBL ad story was broken on GamePolitics, BTW.

Included in the current inaugural theme is a segment introduced by Major Nelson which features XBL users offering their opinions as to what the new chief executive should prioritize. Aside from the woman who wanted Bruce Springsteen named "secretary of rock" and the guy who demanded a college football playoff system, the answers showed that the XBL crowd is both thoughtful and well-versed in current affairs.

Comments

Re: Obama Inauguration Featured on Xbox Live

To me, this is a good thing. The younger generation needs to be included in politics and this is a way of getting them interested. It is progressive thinking for them to do this.

I'm new, so be gentle on me!
My sites Dora Coloring and Register Tel Domain

Re: Obama Inauguration Featured on Xbox Live

How come on my TV screen, the inauguration section is empty, but the TV shows and Movies sections are filled?

-------------------- Making sure I retain my INSANITY

Re: Obama Inauguration Featured on Xbox Live

Empty promises. It's an omen.

Andrew EisenNo.05/05/2015 - 4:16pm
Wonderkarphey Andrew, got a question. do you think Nintendo will pull a Wii and delay Zelda onto their "new console" like they did with Twilight Princess?05/05/2015 - 4:15pm
Wonderkarpand it said it was submitted but i never saw anything05/05/2015 - 4:11pm
Wonderkarpno. i sent info regarding that "games dont make people sexist" study from Germany.05/05/2015 - 4:07pm
MGI love how people try to use "white knight" as a negative. Yes, please call me the chivalrous defender of the weak, the innocent, and the downtrodden. The reverse of calling someone the white knight means he/she is this http://tinyurl.com/o4sv8kr05/05/2015 - 4:06pm
Andrew EisenAnyway, I'm checking into the Submit News button. Were you getting an error or something?05/05/2015 - 4:06pm
Wonderkarpalright Andrew.05/05/2015 - 4:05pm
MechaCrashThat would require him to make even the barest attempt to educate himself before shooting his mouth off.05/05/2015 - 4:03pm
Andrew EisenOh for crying out loud, stop sniping at each other. Find an issue to discuss instead. Preferably something other than what you think about one another.05/05/2015 - 4:01pm
MechaCrashYour feeble attempts to salvage your pride are not being bought by anybody. Go cry to whatever circlejerk about how the mean ol' SJW persecuted you just because you're a hypocrite who claims to be about ethics and then displays none.05/05/2015 - 3:57pm
Wonderkarpwant me gone? Sure, I'll leave. you can be the brave white knight who slayed the fish to appease those who look down on you. *clap clap*05/05/2015 - 3:54pm
WonderkarpOnly reason I came back was to make sure a story got reported here. I was going to use the submit news button but that doesnt work. I pop in time to time, dont comment. Why I'm commenting now? Boredom most likely. Boredom and Venting.05/05/2015 - 3:52pm
MechaCrashAt this point I'm wondering how much of this you'll take before you throw another tantrum and LEAVE FOREVER for the third time.05/05/2015 - 3:47pm
MechaCrashHaha, do you really think I'm the only one who holds you in contempt for misattributing and then complaining about a video you refuse to watch? It's just that I'm willing to be blunt enough to call you on it.05/05/2015 - 3:46pm
WonderkarpIt bottles down to I dont care what you think of me, MechaCrash.05/05/2015 - 3:42pm
Wonderkarpits like "I'm not a racist because I have a black friend and dance around the words I say" and it isnt your general feelings05/05/2015 - 3:38pm
WonderkarpAnybody who takes the time to explain why they arent a sexist is a sexist. if you call me sexist. fine. then I'm sexist to you. I call you a dumbass. doesn't make you a dumbass but you are definitely one to me.05/05/2015 - 3:37pm
MechaCrashGotta love how the attempt to not look sexist by whining about McIntosh and not Sarkeesian just makes you look even more sexist. By the way, you might want to watch these videos before handing down judgement, it might help obscure your reactionary idiocy.05/05/2015 - 3:32pm
WonderkarpI wish I was a rainbow unicorn. I Like My Little Pony05/05/2015 - 2:59pm
Matthew WilsonI am ok with brand deals, so long as they say it up front.05/05/2015 - 2:50pm