Game Dev Toolkit Helps Non-profits Tackle Social Issues via Games

January 27, 2009 -

As we saw in 2008 with Breakthrough's immigration rights-themed I.C.E.D!, non-profits are increasingly turning to game tech to reach a wider - and younger - audience.

Along that line Ars Technica reports that Games for Change has released a toolkit designed to help non-profits tap learn how to tap into issue-oriented games of their own.

The Games for Change Toolkit is primarily a Flash-based presentation containing video, reference material, and links to demonstration games that cover various aspects of game design, from the initial concept to production and distribution. While an actual [software development kit] may not be involved, the toolkit introduces nonprofit organizations to both the broad potential and finer details of bringing an issue-conscious game into reality...

The Toolkit covers seven primary topics and introduces each with a video snippet of their relative presenter's speech: Urge, Concept, Design, Production, Distribution, Evaluation, and Case Study...

Comments

Re: Game Dev Toolkit Helps Non-profits Tackle Social Issues via

As soon as certain camps get ahold of this, we may see hilarous results.

Re: Game Dev Toolkit Helps Non-profits Tackle Social Issues via

I hope it's used to make games that aren't as completely one-sided as ICED was.

Re: Game Dev Toolkit Helps Non-profits Tackle Social Issues via

The purpose of persuasive works are to show the posities and benefits of your side while showing the cons of the oposing view point. If you were to make a work that gave equal weight and showed no bias you would be making an informative work.

While yes, persuasive works can be informative they are primarily persuasive. ICED was a persuasive work. It was meant to get the player to side with the ICED designer.

I would certainly hate to see political and persuasive games limited to only being informative works.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Game Dev Toolkit Helps Non-profits Tackle Social Issues via

And I would hate to see them limited to only persuasive works.  To me, showing only one side, while demonizing the other, is akin to lying and spreads ignorance.  ICED was ridiculous.  I half expected the authorities to sprout horns and start breathing fire.

Re: Game Dev Toolkit Helps Non-profits Tackle Social Issues via

Well, there is a place in gaming for pure informative works and there is a place for pure persuasive works. ICED just happened to be a persuasive work.

If you didn't like the one sidedness that in inheirent in all persuasive works and in ICED, perhaps you can make a non-biased game about immigration and deportation.

I don't think they ever tried to hide the fact that they had a bias. So why complain about the existance of that bias?

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Game Dev Toolkit Helps Non-profits Tackle Social Issues via

Well ICED was only one-sided if you accept the ridiculous argument that says that people should only be allowed to live or look for work in certain areas of the world, and that those who cross an imaginary line into areas where whiter people live ought to be imprisoned.

If free market capitalism has any chance of succeeding, barriers to trade (and that includes restrictions on the free movement of labour) need to be removed.

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm