Massachusetts Guv to Woo Game Publishers During West Coast Junket

January 27, 2009 -

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) will meet with Microsoft, Electronic Arts and other, unspecified video game publishers during a West Coast trip next week.

The Boston Business Journal reports that the Guv and several top economic advisors will meet with non-gaming high-tech firms as well, including Google and Cisco. Patrick's group is expected to visit with about 50 companies in all.

While the main purpose of the trip is to head off potential layoffs in Massachusetts, Patrick hopes to persuade game companies to set up shop there as well.

GP: Gov. Patrick might have a better chance with the game companies if the state legislature hadn't nixed a proposed tax break measure in 2008.

UPDATE: The Belmont Citizen-Herald has more on Gov. Patrick's trip, including comments from Massachusetts' Undersecretary for Business Development Greg Bialecki:

We do not have a national video game publisher and the governor will make the case that there is enough local video game development talent that a recognized video game publisher like a Microsoft or EA should be locating here in Massachusetts as well.

Comments

Re: Massachusetts Guv to Woo Game Publishers During West Coast

Wish my governor would try this.  Indiana has like nothing in the way of developers.  Makes it nearly impossible to get any industry experience.  I'm basically stuck trying to make as good of a portfolio as I can, in hopes of getting someone to come see my capstone project and offer me a job.  Sounds like a long shot, but its happened.  Just last year a guy did a team animation that landed him a job animating for Pixar, right out of graduation.

Luckily though, I've corresponded with Jess Lebow (worked on several titles, including Guild Wars as a writer) and what I got from him was this:

I think a really solid portfolio can make a lot of difference. And once you get in the door, then the experience will come. So to start off with, your portfolio is everything. I have on several occasions hired people with no experience but with good work examples. You can't build a company with only senior level people. You have to have some new blood and some fresh perspectives on things.

Lol, makes me feel a lot better.  All the same though, I wish Indiana would take some more initiative in getting some developers here.  I know plenty of people, and not just those in my classes, that would love to get into game design but there just isn't much opportunity for it here.

Re: Massachusetts Guv to Woo Game Publishers During West Coast

Or if Mumbles wasn't the mayor of the state's capital city.

"There is no sin except stupidity." - Oscar Wilde

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Massachusetts Guv to Woo Game Publishers During West Coast

He'd have an even better chance if the state legislature hadn't attempted to pass unconstitutional anti-game legislation either.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Pelicans. Even through the darkest days, this fire burns always.

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm