Obama Simulators for PC

January 29, 2009 -

President Barack Obama's status as a pop icon seems to have breathed new life into the niche market for political strategy games.

GamePolitics has previously covered Commander in Chief: Geo-Political Simulator 2009 and CNN now has a video report on the game.

We've also stumbled across Oval Office from Zero G. Beyond its marketing blurb, we don't yet have much info on the $19.99 PC game:

Can you run the country better than the people in charge? Oval Office is the ultimate political strategy and simulation game! As president, you will have to balance the budget, keep taxes in check, make snap judgments, and much more.

Prefer a green paradise, or socialist utopia? Control crime without destroying civil liberties? These are only some of the tough issues you will face. But the biggest question of all is can you win re-election? It's not as easy as it sounds in the Oval Office!

GP: I've been playing a bit of Commander in Chief recently. It's fun, but fairly complex. The game has garnered a couple of glowing user reviews on GameSpot.

Comments

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

I keep considering buying a copy of one of these, but in the end I remember that as far as complex simulators go, I've still got my retail versions of Battlecruiser Millenium: Gold and Universal Combat.

That'll eat up my time well enough, thanks.

---- There is a limit for both politicians against video games, and video games against politicians. http://www.goteamretard.com

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

Can I win re-election?  Well, if the past few weeks are any indication, all I have to do is spend a bunch of money I don't have, distribute it poorly while continuing to severely weaken the U.S. dollar, and everyone will love me!

(I know this is an oversimplification, but I HATE the idea of government bailouts, no matter who they're for.  Survival of the fittest, I say.)

"There is no sin except stupidity." - Oscar Wilde

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

So you're saying that the people love George W Bush?

I don't think so.

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

Don't put words in my mouth.  I don't have to like Bush to dislike Obama, and vice versa.

"There is no sin except stupidity." - Oscar Wilde

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

I hope this "pop icon" phase ends soon.  I don't think a US President (or any world leader) should be regarded as some kind of pop celebrity.

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

I second this.  Everyone makes him seem like some kind of hero, he's just the president and he hasn't even done anything big so let's wait a while before we do things like call him the next FDR and make coins of him.

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

Oh come on guys!  This part of a presidency is just like one of those reality shows - it's "The Presidential Honeymoon, starring Barack Obama".  The fall from grace is inevitable, but the honeymoon has it's entertainment value too.  Just buy popcorn and enjoy the show.  I mean heck, if you can't laugh at the sheeple who buy into all the hype, what can you laugh at?

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

I said it on Kotaku, I'll say it here.  Do not want.

Re: Obama Simulators for PC

How long until someone gets butthurt over the fact that Obama is appearing in video games? I want to laugh at them, already!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

-----------------------------

"A Chrono Trigger is anything that unleashes its will or desire to change history!" -Gaspar

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am