Mass. Effect: Guv Talks Game Biz with Microsoft

February 4, 2009 -

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick's West Coast junket touched down in Redmond yesterday for talks with Microsoft.

Mass High Tech reports that Patrick (left), a Democrat, discussed the video game business with MS Chief Software Architect Ray Ozzie.

While the Guv described his meeting with Ozzie as "very encouraging," the Microsoft exec apparently pulled no punches:

Ozzie suggested Massachusetts needs to reinvent its high-tech image.

“The famous Route 128 tech highway — people are thinking of that image as being in the past,” said Greg Bialecki, state undersecretary for business development, who accompanied Patrick on the trip. “How do we talk about a new conversation about what we are doing today?”

The [Massachusetts] regional gaming cluster already includes companies such as Turbine Inc., 2K Boston, Blue Fang Games LLC, Harmonix Music Systems Inc., Demiurge Studios, Tencent Holdings Limited, 38 Studios LLC, Mad Doc Software and Crate Entertainment...

Patrick said West Coast tech execs tell him Silicon valley has a greater “spirit of collaboration,” and “also the ability to start and fail and start again.” To keep entrepreneurs from heading west, Massachusetts will have to emulate that culture...

The Guv is on a mission to bring high tech companies - including game industry firms - to the Bay State. Patrick's other West Coast meetings this week include stops at Facebook, Google and Electronic Arts.

Comments

Re: Mass. Effect: Guv Talks Game Biz with Microsoft

Headline pun of the month.

/b

Re: Mass. Effect: Guv Talks Game Biz with Microsoft

I think the whole US needs to start looking at pushing high tech...

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm