Midway Says Adios to ESA?

February 17, 2009 -

Bankrupt game publisher Midway has apparently left the membership ranks of the Entertainment Software Association. The Washington, D.C.-based ESA represents the interests of U.S. game publishers.

GamePolitics notes that Midway, which filed for bankruptcy last week, has been removed from the list of member companies on the ESA's website. Such removal has preceded the ESA's official acknowledegment of memco departures in several recent cases.

The move probably speaks more to Midway's desperate financial straits than anything else. With Midway's exit, the ranks of the ESA have dropped to 20. At the beginning of 2008, 28 companies belonged to the organization.

We have asked the ESA for confirmation.

Comments

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

Thank you very much for this useful article and the comments. I love this site as it contains good materials.

Regards
------------
Sohbet film izle

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

I tend to think of the ESA as Irony in action:

The ESA attempts to protect intellectual rights without intelligence.  They create nothing, publish nothing, advertise nothing, and yet somehow claim to out of the best interest of game companies.  They are a parasite with delusions of grandeur.

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

I think I hear the ESA now...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

"Its because of the piracy!"

There it is. -_-;;

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

So only 8 companies have left in about 14 months?

That's not actually a lot. The numbers here seem to show more that the ESA never had many companies to begin with.

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

Before Midway left, they lost 25% of their members in a years time. That is quite a bit.

You also have to remember that the ESA represents only publishers. I am not privy to the membership fees, but I would assume that it is not a small ammount. So it may not be worth it to smaller publishers.

As for Midway, I expected as much. They have to cut unnecessary expenses during Bankruptcy.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

Is there a US equivalent to the ESA for developers?

/b

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

The closest thing is the IGDA (http://www.igda.org/) They are not a lobby or union, just a community that looks after each other and speaks up for developers.

E. Zachary Knight