Midway Says Adios to ESA?

February 17, 2009 -

Bankrupt game publisher Midway has apparently left the membership ranks of the Entertainment Software Association. The Washington, D.C.-based ESA represents the interests of U.S. game publishers.

GamePolitics notes that Midway, which filed for bankruptcy last week, has been removed from the list of member companies on the ESA's website. Such removal has preceded the ESA's official acknowledegment of memco departures in several recent cases.

The move probably speaks more to Midway's desperate financial straits than anything else. With Midway's exit, the ranks of the ESA have dropped to 20. At the beginning of 2008, 28 companies belonged to the organization.

We have asked the ESA for confirmation.

Comments

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

Thank you very much for this useful article and the comments. I love this site as it contains good materials.

Regards
------------
Sohbet film izle

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

I tend to think of the ESA as Irony in action:

The ESA attempts to protect intellectual rights without intelligence.  They create nothing, publish nothing, advertise nothing, and yet somehow claim to out of the best interest of game companies.  They are a parasite with delusions of grandeur.

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

I think I hear the ESA now...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

"Its because of the piracy!"

There it is. -_-;;

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

So only 8 companies have left in about 14 months?

That's not actually a lot. The numbers here seem to show more that the ESA never had many companies to begin with.

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

Before Midway left, they lost 25% of their members in a years time. That is quite a bit.

You also have to remember that the ESA represents only publishers. I am not privy to the membership fees, but I would assume that it is not a small ammount. So it may not be worth it to smaller publishers.

As for Midway, I expected as much. They have to cut unnecessary expenses during Bankruptcy.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

Is there a US equivalent to the ESA for developers?

/b

Re: Midway Says Adios to ESA?

The closest thing is the IGDA (http://www.igda.org/) They are not a lobby or union, just a community that looks after each other and speaks up for developers.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm