Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the Big Bucks

February 27, 2009 -

Despite a bumpy two-year run which has seen a 25% membership drop and a disastrous 2008 E3, Michael Gallagher, CEO of the Entertainment Software Association, is doing okay for himself.

IRS records filed by the ESA indicate that Gallagher was paid $789,929 for the reporting period of April 1, 2007 to March 31, 2008. Since Gallagher didn't take over at the ESA until late May of 2007, or almost two months into the reporting period, we can probably assume that his annual salary was actually a bit higher. Additionally, Gallagher collected $19,015 in benefits.

By way of comparison, Gallagher's predecessor, Doug Lowenstein, earned $744,344 for the prior year, plus a benefits package valued at $96,616.

It's only fair to point out in Gallagher's defense that many of the conditions which led to a downsized E3 and drastically elevated membership fees were in place before he was hired.

On the same document the ESA reports the salary of ESRB President Patricia Vance as $535,397. It's apparent that the head of the video game industry's rating body has bounced back nicely from the 2005 Hot Coffee fiasco. Highlighted by a successful outreach program to parents and public service messages delivered in concert with various state-level political officials, the ESRB seems to be performing at peak efficiency.

Comments

Re: Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the Big

He's still got nothing on Bob Nardelli.  That guy got payed a quarter of a billion dollars to run Home Depot into the ground.

Re: Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the Big

I said it before I'll say it again....if  you have more than 2-5 million in assents and work in public office...you should not be paid.... the gorily of brown nosing or ego stroking is rewarding in and of itself....

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the Big

A man in charge should of been able to veto these changes.

Again this guy has no clue what he is doing in charge of the ESA, he failed so he shouldn't have been paid above Federal Minium Wage.

Re: Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the ...

In all fairness maybe we should also say how much dennis and co make at ECA (which i know is peanuts).

Re: Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the Big

I would be curious to see how his pay compares to overall profits of the ESA and the salaries of other board members.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the Big

Around 800 thousand is way too much for what he did to E3.

Re: Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the Big

You missed where Dennis specifically said the E3 changes were already underway before he took over.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Nice Work If You Can Get It: ESA, ESRB Heads Make the Big

It's not like new E3 had to run twice though.

Poll