Reversing Trend, ESA Adds a Member

March 9, 2009 -

The ESA has a new member.

Although the video game publishers' trade group suffered a more than 25% loss in membership during the past 12 months, that trend may be reversing with the addition of SouthPeak Interactive to the ESA's member ranks.

The publisher's titles include the My Baby series, Two Worlds, Big Bang Mini, Velvet Assassin, Ninjatown and Section 8.

SouthPeak exec Richard Iggo commented on his firm's decision to join the ranks:

Our industry needs a strong and active trade organization and we are pleased to support that effort. We look forward to participating in the many programs and opportunities provided by the ESA.

Comments

Re: Reversing Trend, ESA Adds a Member

I wonder if they'll get razzed at association meetings about the suckitude of Two Worlds.

Two Worlds = biggest disappointment on the 360, and candidate for worst game disappointment ever.

Re: Reversing Trend, ESA Adds a Member

well atlease they're getting another member instead of losing one.

Re: Reversing Trend, ESA Adds a Member

I dunno how they have the money to do this. Southpeak is a pretty bad publisher with games like X-blades and Two Worlds.

Re: Reversing Trend, ESA Adds a Member

Yeah but that My Baby line brings in quite a lot of DS cash to the publisher. It may not be in you top ten list of must have's but all the little girls who own DS's just eat it up.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Reversing Trend, ESA Adds a Member

Most of their good stuff comes from the DS sector though, but I have to imagine it's not enough to recoup the losses on making really bad high budget games like Legendary and Two Worlds (remind you this game was hyped to supposedly be better than oblivion).

Re: Reversing Trend, ESA Adds a Member

The fees for membership in the ESA are based on a sliding scale: the more profit a publisher makes, the more it costs them to be a member and, conversely, the less profit a publisher makes, the less it costs them to be a member. Therefore, members don't all pay the same fee. Which also means that the loss of Member X's fees because Member X defects isn't neccessarily fully offset by the subsequent recruitment of Member Y -- unless Members X and Y were making approximately the same amount of profit. This also would tend to explain a greater willingness on the part of more profitable publishers to defect because, relatively, they pay greater fees and would also tend to explain a greater willingness on the part of less profitable publishers to join because, relatively, they pay lesser fees.

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm