Layoff: The Game

March 17, 2009 -

If you've been laid off, you'll have plenty of time on your hands to play the Layoff game - at least until your PC is repo'd.

The new, Bejeweled-like offering from tiltfactor satirizes the plight of worker bees who are paying the price for the incompetent Wall Street types behind the economic meltdown.

A company press release describes the game, which was developed by Prof. Mary Flanagan, Dartmouth’s Digital Humanities Chair in partnership with the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) Game Design and Development program:

Players play from the side of management needing to cut jobs, and match types of workers in groups in order to lay the workers off and increase workforce efficiency... Players eliminating many workers in a row find financiers and bankers taking the place of working class jobs. The financiers in this game cannot face layoffs.

Prof. Flanagan comments on Layoff:

The game has an unsettling feeling. It is cute and fun to play, but when you realize how frightening the situation is, the game in fact functions as a very dark portent.

Via: Kotaku

Comments

Re: Layoff: The Game

If you REALLY want to know how it feels to be laid off, just check out Odd Todd's homepage (Google helps)! Very funny (and very true) flash animations!

ZAR.

Re: Layoff: The Game

I didn't play it more than a few seconds. Maybe, in some strange way, it's my machine (though I doubt it), but it moved slow as hell and I wasn't gonna sit there and wait when I can, you know, play other games.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm