Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged Over Gameplay

May 15, 2009 -

As GamePolitics mentioned earlier this week, the politically-tinged indy game Clover was released as an XBL Community title.

While the game is essentially an allegory about the twisted path that led the United States to invade Iraq in 2003, Fidgit's Tom Chick finds Clover wanting in the fun department:

Entertainment has a long and storied history of commenting on politics. Unfortunately, Clover seems to lost sight of the entertainment part of the equation. Or maybe I'm to blame for not having the patience to play through a crudely drawn and even more crudely built adventure game based on inventory management.

I can eventually get past the look of the game, which might be described as South Park run through a Braid Photoshop filter...  The problem with "message" games is that unless the message is delivered with some sort of nuance or power... the gameplay is going to have to take up the slack...

Comments

Re: Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged Over

Looks unusual...especially since the story seems so serious yet the graphics are so silly.

Re: Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged ...

Not every game can be a winner. I think it's at least cool that they chose a game to make their point, whether or not it's a point I agree with. Hopefully next time they'll remember to make the game fun.

If you go crazy then I will still call you Superman.

Re: Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged Over

Saw that coming like 3 miles away.

--------------------------------------------------------

Believe in something! Even if it's wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

-------------------------------------------------------- Believe in something! Even if it's wrong, believe in it! GET OFF MY PHONE! -Glenn Beck

Re: Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged Over

Yep.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Andrew EisenNo.05/05/2015 - 4:16pm
Wonderkarphey Andrew, got a question. do you think Nintendo will pull a Wii and delay Zelda onto their "new console" like they did with Twilight Princess?05/05/2015 - 4:15pm
Wonderkarpand it said it was submitted but i never saw anything05/05/2015 - 4:11pm
Wonderkarpno. i sent info regarding that "games dont make people sexist" study from Germany.05/05/2015 - 4:07pm
MGI love how people try to use "white knight" as a negative. Yes, please call me the chivalrous defender of the weak, the innocent, and the downtrodden. The reverse of calling someone the white knight means he/she is this http://tinyurl.com/o4sv8kr05/05/2015 - 4:06pm
Andrew EisenAnyway, I'm checking into the Submit News button. Were you getting an error or something?05/05/2015 - 4:06pm
Wonderkarpalright Andrew.05/05/2015 - 4:05pm
MechaCrashThat would require him to make even the barest attempt to educate himself before shooting his mouth off.05/05/2015 - 4:03pm
Andrew EisenOh for crying out loud, stop sniping at each other. Find an issue to discuss instead. Preferably something other than what you think about one another.05/05/2015 - 4:01pm
MechaCrashYour feeble attempts to salvage your pride are not being bought by anybody. Go cry to whatever circlejerk about how the mean ol' SJW persecuted you just because you're a hypocrite who claims to be about ethics and then displays none.05/05/2015 - 3:57pm
Wonderkarpwant me gone? Sure, I'll leave. you can be the brave white knight who slayed the fish to appease those who look down on you. *clap clap*05/05/2015 - 3:54pm
WonderkarpOnly reason I came back was to make sure a story got reported here. I was going to use the submit news button but that doesnt work. I pop in time to time, dont comment. Why I'm commenting now? Boredom most likely. Boredom and Venting.05/05/2015 - 3:52pm
MechaCrashAt this point I'm wondering how much of this you'll take before you throw another tantrum and LEAVE FOREVER for the third time.05/05/2015 - 3:47pm
MechaCrashHaha, do you really think I'm the only one who holds you in contempt for misattributing and then complaining about a video you refuse to watch? It's just that I'm willing to be blunt enough to call you on it.05/05/2015 - 3:46pm
WonderkarpIt bottles down to I dont care what you think of me, MechaCrash.05/05/2015 - 3:42pm
Wonderkarpits like "I'm not a racist because I have a black friend and dance around the words I say" and it isnt your general feelings05/05/2015 - 3:38pm
WonderkarpAnybody who takes the time to explain why they arent a sexist is a sexist. if you call me sexist. fine. then I'm sexist to you. I call you a dumbass. doesn't make you a dumbass but you are definitely one to me.05/05/2015 - 3:37pm
MechaCrashGotta love how the attempt to not look sexist by whining about McIntosh and not Sarkeesian just makes you look even more sexist. By the way, you might want to watch these videos before handing down judgement, it might help obscure your reactionary idiocy.05/05/2015 - 3:32pm
WonderkarpI wish I was a rainbow unicorn. I Like My Little Pony05/05/2015 - 2:59pm
Matthew WilsonI am ok with brand deals, so long as they say it up front.05/05/2015 - 2:50pm