Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged Over Gameplay

May 15, 2009 -

As GamePolitics mentioned earlier this week, the politically-tinged indy game Clover was released as an XBL Community title.

While the game is essentially an allegory about the twisted path that led the United States to invade Iraq in 2003, Fidgit's Tom Chick finds Clover wanting in the fun department:

Entertainment has a long and storied history of commenting on politics. Unfortunately, Clover seems to lost sight of the entertainment part of the equation. Or maybe I'm to blame for not having the patience to play through a crudely drawn and even more crudely built adventure game based on inventory management.

I can eventually get past the look of the game, which might be described as South Park run through a Braid Photoshop filter...  The problem with "message" games is that unless the message is delivered with some sort of nuance or power... the gameplay is going to have to take up the slack...

Comments

Re: Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged Over

Looks unusual...especially since the story seems so serious yet the graphics are so silly.

Re: Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged ...

Not every game can be a winner. I think it's at least cool that they chose a game to make their point, whether or not it's a point I agree with. Hopefully next time they'll remember to make the game fun.

If you go crazy then I will still call you Superman.

Re: Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged Over

Saw that coming like 3 miles away.

--------------------------------------------------------

Believe in something! Even if it's wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

-------------------------------------------------------- Believe in something! Even if it's wrong, believe in it! GET OFF MY PHONE! -Glenn Beck

Re: Politically-Charged Xbox Live Community Game Dinged Over

Yep.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Poll