Korean Govt. Gets Behind Serious Games

May 20, 2009 -

The Korean government will invest 80 billion won (US$63.52 million) to support the country's growing serious games business, reports Korea IT Times.

If successful, Korea will expand its serious games market by a factor of six by 2012. Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Yu In-chon commented:

The functional game market is at an early stage, but the market is an emerging blue ocean. The government is going to give support to prompt private investment in that field.

Mervyn Levin of the U.K.'s Serious Games Institute reports on a 2008 visit to Seoul where he observed some of the Korean serious game projects in development:

An interesting Korean Serious Games project was presented by T3 Entertainment on anti-bullying, a subject of obvious relevance to the UK. The title was "Online 'Star Stone' Development for Improvement of Personal Relations".

South Korean University research was also presented demonstrating evidence of the relationship between on-line games and the development of leadership skills in the workplace...

Via: gamesindustry.biz

Comments

Re: Korean Govt. Gets Behind Serious Games

Brace for a flood of copy+paste MMORPGS.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Korean Govt. Gets Behind Serious Games

Korean Gov't be funding SERIOUS games! Naht dat Wii shit...  I'm talkin 'bout SERIOUS games.

Re: Korean Govt. Gets Behind Serious Games

I think you're lost. IGN is that way.

Re: Korean Govt. Gets Behind Serious Games

Does StarCraft count?  In Korea, it's serious business.

Sorry, I had to go there.

Re: Korean Govt. Gets Behind Serious Games

Of course it counts.  That 80 billion won is obviously for setting a giant LAN party for StarCraft 2 tournaments.

Re: Korean Govt. Gets Behind Serious Games

Incredible. It's sad that I seriously can't imagine the UK government doing the same.

Re: Korean Govt. Gets Behind Serious Games

Considering the UK has a difficult enough time accepting the games industry as a legitimate industry worthy of support in any way, yeah this will never happen there.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm