GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

May 22, 2009 -

This week's announcement that California would ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the constitutionality of its 2005 violent video game law did not escape the notice of Woody Hearn, who draws GU Comics.

At left is Hearn's rendition of California State Senator Leland Yee (D), the driving force behind the contested legislation. There's also mention of a mysterious man named "Jack." Who could that be?

Click here to view the full comic.

Comments

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Swing and a miss. Again.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

So, your comic will feature caricature growth?

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I have two apologies to make.

1. Sorry it wasn't funny to some of you. It amused me and that's the only consistant guage I have.

2. The caricature of Yee is horrible. I can do better. But, I had to rush yesterday morning. Unless I miss my guess, I'll have more chances at caricature redemption in the future.

Woody Hearn GUComics.Com

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I personally thought I was quite decent. I personally got a kick from the stormtrooper comic a few back though. and thanks for bringing the issue aboue the EULA to my attention. I agree its utter bullcrap. Keep up the good work!

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I think he is missing the point of why Jack is so hated.  It's not because he criticizes games, it's because of the abusive, dismissive, and childish way he speaks about and to gamers.  Leland Yee shows respect and civility in his interactions with us.  Jack does not seem to comprehend those things.  That is why Jack is vilified.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Yee and Jack don't get along, eh?

*Can't remember if they truly don't.*

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

John Bruce has said that he spoke to Yee informing him that his attempt at legislating video games was unconstitutional and Yee rejected the advice. Not sure why John Bruce thinks that the Cali law is unconstitutional while his own drafted legislation which very much resembles what Cali is trying to do is constitutional.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Because in Jackworld if he does it it's right, if anyone else does it it's wrong.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

GUcomics is rarely funny...

Trevor Gray ganjookie@yahoo.com

Trevor Gray
ganjookie@yahoo.com

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Not funny, but i do see where that comic strip is going.

Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am