GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

May 22, 2009 -

This week's announcement that California would ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the constitutionality of its 2005 violent video game law did not escape the notice of Woody Hearn, who draws GU Comics.

At left is Hearn's rendition of California State Senator Leland Yee (D), the driving force behind the contested legislation. There's also mention of a mysterious man named "Jack." Who could that be?

Click here to view the full comic.

Comments

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Swing and a miss. Again.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

So, your comic will feature caricature growth?

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I have two apologies to make.

1. Sorry it wasn't funny to some of you. It amused me and that's the only consistant guage I have.

2. The caricature of Yee is horrible. I can do better. But, I had to rush yesterday morning. Unless I miss my guess, I'll have more chances at caricature redemption in the future.

Woody Hearn GUComics.Com

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I personally thought I was quite decent. I personally got a kick from the stormtrooper comic a few back though. and thanks for bringing the issue aboue the EULA to my attention. I agree its utter bullcrap. Keep up the good work!

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

I think he is missing the point of why Jack is so hated.  It's not because he criticizes games, it's because of the abusive, dismissive, and childish way he speaks about and to gamers.  Leland Yee shows respect and civility in his interactions with us.  Jack does not seem to comprehend those things.  That is why Jack is vilified.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Yee and Jack don't get along, eh?

*Can't remember if they truly don't.*

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

John Bruce has said that he spoke to Yee informing him that his attempt at legislating video games was unconstitutional and Yee rejected the advice. Not sure why John Bruce thinks that the Cali law is unconstitutional while his own drafted legislation which very much resembles what Cali is trying to do is constitutional.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Because in Jackworld if he does it it's right, if anyone else does it it's wrong.

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

GUcomics is rarely funny...

Trevor Gray ganjookie@yahoo.com

Trevor Gray
ganjookie@yahoo.com

Re: GU Comics Has Fun with California Supreme Court Appeal

Not funny, but i do see where that comic strip is going.

Poll

EA has shuttered Maxis (The Sims, SimCity). Should it keep the Maxis name alive?:

Andrew EisenPM - Yep, that's the one.03/06/2015 - 12:53am
TechnogeekBest case, it was some marketing douchebag who thought they could pander to both sides at once.03/06/2015 - 12:49am
TechnogeekAlso, this was the mistake tweet: http://i.imgur.com/4eLWNHx.jpg03/06/2015 - 12:48am
TechnogeekBecause nothing says "open, diverse gaming community" like buddying up with Breitbart.03/06/2015 - 12:47am
Papa MidnightAndrew Eisen, I believe this is the picture that you seek: http://i.imgur.com/Gdk60pa.jpg03/06/2015 - 12:30am
Papa MidnightSurely, Goth_Skunk, you say that in jest?03/06/2015 - 12:28am
prh99Craig R. Cause quite a few of them are not, they're bullies with different politics.03/06/2015 - 12:23am
MechaTama31What was the "mistake" tweet?03/06/2015 - 12:18am
MechaCrashWhatever you say, Goth.03/06/2015 - 12:02am
E. Zachary KnightGoth, they could have fooled me.03/05/2015 - 11:16pm
Goth_SkunkI don't understand. GamerGate supports an open, diverse gaming community for all as well. Google's statement is contradictory.03/05/2015 - 10:59pm
TechnogeekAnd as far as the Card thing went, I basically balanced it out personal guilt-wise by donating an amount equal to the Shadow Complex purchase price to the ACLU.03/05/2015 - 9:44pm
TechnogeekWelp, look like the Gerberghazi crowd is going to have to use Bing now. https://twitter.com/googlecloud/status/57365320825126093003/05/2015 - 9:42pm
Goth_SkunkAhh! I misinterpreted your statement about being left with almost every game in existence. I interpreted it as 'If you boycott games he's been involved with, you're boycotting almost all of them.'03/05/2015 - 9:31pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Card has been involved with only a small handful of games so if one were to boycott games for his involvement, they wouldn't be missing out on many games.03/05/2015 - 9:29pm
Goth_Skunk@Craig: Only if you're not interested in seeing it end.03/05/2015 - 9:27pm
Craig R.Instead of calling people the "anti gamergate faction", you could just call them "sane"03/05/2015 - 9:23pm
Goth_SkunkWhat do you mean 'almost every game in existence'? Card is a writer, not a game developer.03/05/2015 - 9:18pm
Andrew EisenBut I too wonder how many people who cry boycott actually follow through. I vaguely remember a few years ago a bunch of people boycotting one of the CoD games and were all found playing it on Steam.03/05/2015 - 7:53pm
Andrew EisenAn interesting quandary but not equivalent as boycotting games that Card was involved with leaves you with... well, almost every game in existence.03/05/2015 - 7:51pm