Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

May 29, 2009 -

Take-Two Interactive Chairman Strauss Zelnick seems like a pretty smart guy, so we were surprised to learn that he was actually considering buying a newspaper. In the end, he wised up, however.

Reuters reports that Zelnick decided to pass on acquiring the Austin American-Statesman. The Texas paper had a daily circulation of 152,691 as of March.

Zelnick's private equity firm ZelnickMedia Corp. never made a formal bid and decided to pull out of negotiations as the sorry state of the newspaper business continued to worsen.

Comments

Re: Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

In before Thompson gloats that Straus doesn't know what he's doing.

Re: Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

You don't invest in a failing company, I wish the people running "obamanomics" knows that.

"We invest in a sick and dying horse and we didin't win! Why did this happen?"

Then

"Hey guys, I gotta tell you that we lost a bunch of money when we bet on that horse so we gotta charge you 10-25% on everything you buy to make up that money even though it's primarly my fault."

Re: Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

Define "failing company". Is it one facing chapter 7 bankruptcy? One facing chapter 11 bankruptcy? One asking congress for help? One that's in need of a management change?

-Gray17

Re: Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

Does it really matter? If their filing bankruptcy obviously something is wrong with the company. Chapter 7 is management but those companie's got there in the first place through their own failing. Take for example Midway whom spent so much money on original IP that sucked, same with Ford and GM. It should be "You shoulden't have relied on your trucks and SUV's too bad so sad, you should have diversified." or, "You shoulden't have given out loans to people you know they can't pay back, you failed sorry." The concept of bailing out a company is insane because they failed in some way shape or form, they should be replaced by a company that doesn't fail. Don't keep those who fail at their job and get people who can keep their jobs.

Re: Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

same with Ford and GM

And yet oddly enough, Ford hasn't gotten a bailout, and isn't staring bankruptcy down the throat. Hence my asking what you're definition of what a failing company is.

-Gray17

Re: Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

The primary definition of capitalism, right there.  The problem is that liberals are trying to spread a message that if people do something wrong, it's always someone elses fault.  Therefore, nobody needs to be held responsible for their actions.

Also, just an FYI; it's GM and Chrysler that were bailed out.  It's looking like Ford will be able to weather the storm without taxpayer's money.

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone's feelings.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

Imagine being the only paper on the continent that couldn't write stories about how GTA turns kids into cop killers.  That's your entire technology section gone.

---
The Mammon Philosophy

---
Fangamer

Re: Take-Two's Zelnick Passes on Newspaper Purchase

He's an intelligent man who made a sound business decision.  Good for you Strauss.

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

E. Zachary KnightHad some fun discussions about that dumb dress on Facebook. I opened the original picture in GIMP and sampled the colors and determined them to be Blue and Gold. People still say I am wrong.02/27/2015 - 7:41pm
ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm
ZippyDSMleeattack than think.02/27/2015 - 4:58pm
ZippyDSMleeI can admit a lot of the butthurt coming from the other side is frankly a conditioned response learned from past experiences of censorship and social moral crusades. Which it really is not but it’s a forest for the tree’s issue I guess and it’s easier to 02/27/2015 - 4:58pm