Last Chance for E3?

May 31, 2009 -

There's one in every crowd.

While the video game press is generally enraptured by the prospect of E3 returning to its former glory, Cnet's Dan Ackerman serves up a cautionary note, saying that this year's expo "may be too little, too late."

Ackerman explains:

The 2009 version of E3 is being unofficially billed as a return to form... Of course, many of these grand plans were hatched before the current economic recession hit, and some of these game companies may be experiencing buyer's remorse over investing so heavily in an E3 show modeled on the free-spending glory days.

We're eager to see how excessive the show's booths are (previous years resembled an arms race to see who could build the biggest, most ostentatious display), and whether the game publishers will feel like they got their money's worth from their sizable investment -- which is why the show was scaled back three years ago in the first place... If not, this could very well be E3's third strike, and the end of a 15-year run.

Comments

Re: Last Chance for E3?

I don't see any reason why E3 will be any different this year.  Any big announcements are leaked online nowadays.  And even when E3 was big, it seemed like the only people who really thought it was cool was the press, because they actually get to experience it and it gives them something different to write about.  Average Joe Gamer is sitting home playing the games that are already released while E3 buzzes half a country away...

Re: Last Chance for E3?

The trouble will be making sure that the industry representatives present feel that the investment is worth what they're getting out of this. (which is probably going to be a lot more than last year)

If those people don't feel this flashy show is worth the cost, then E3 dies this year.
If they do feel it's worth it, it'll continue. It is as simple as that.

I have no doubt that it'll be a hit with the visitors, but those aren't the people that count here.
It's the people who invest lots of money to be here that count for the future of the show.

Re: Last Chance for E3?

Im sure E3 will be a huge hit this year, unlike the last 2 years.

Re: Last Chance for E3?

I for one would like to hear a lot of positive news come out of this. As someone whose studio was closed for "economic reasons" earlier this year, and who is still trying to get that next situation, upbeat news would be a good thing.

Yet, I hope that it does not return to the original bloated circus, where the aisles were over-crowded with fans masquerading as legitimate media, too many irrelevant non-game-related celebrities, and noise volumes approaching jet aircraft levels. It's hard to demo a game while screaming to be heard.

--Verbinator

--Verbinator

Re: Last Chance for E3?

i hope it'll be as big as it was before it changed

blog sounds like a kind of vomit :(

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm