Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

June 8, 2009 -

Kevin Werbach, who served on the FCC segment of the Obama transition team, remains with the Administration as a part-time advisor on broadband issues.

Over at New World Notes, Wagner James Au reports that Werbach, who is a veteran of the Second Life metaverse, will make an SL appearance later this week:

Werbach will be back in-world this Wednesday at 1pm Pacific to appear on the Metanomics show, for an extremely apropos topic: "The Age of Obama: Virtual Worlds, Open Government, and Policy"...

Kevin tells me he can't discuss the particular policy advice he gave the Administration about virtual worlds, but I suspect he'll provide some great insider perspectives on how they're being shaped.

Werbach and his Second Life avatar appear at left.

Comments

Re: Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

Wow!!! A politician using actual subject matter experts as advisors rather than political hacks? what a novel idea! All this while McCain’s lackeys look for ways to deny evolution or something. celulita

Re: Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

When will politicians and the media realize RL people dgaf about Second Life?

Re: Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

At this rate, the politicians will outnumber the furries in SL.

But seriously, who are they trying to reach?  If you want to connect with people on the internet, use twitter.  If you're trying to connect with virtual world players on thier own turf, roll a mage and start ganking some newbs.

Re: Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

I'd like to see Obama put together a raiding party from his cabinet.

--------------------------------------------------------

Believe in something! Even if it's wrong, believe in it! -Glenn Beck

-------------------------------------------------------- Believe in something! Even if it's wrong, believe in it! GET OFF MY PHONE! -Glenn Beck

Re: Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

I'll be honest, I had never even heard of Second Life until I started reading about it on GP.

Re: Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

I'll be honest too, I have never cared about Second Life even after I started reading about it on GP.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Re: Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

I'll be honest too - I never cared about Second Life after a couple of days playing the game.  Its 1990s era graphics and clunky interface make it frustrating for anyone other than those who don't know what a computer can do, or those masochists who enjoyed 1980s text-based RPGs.

Personally I think the only reason it's still around is that it is the only MMO that really embraces adult content.  Why anyone in government has the balls (or the lack of brains) to go anywhere near it is a mystery to me - I mean Second Life is either a scandal waiting to happen or an invitation to label a player 'lame' - either way, it's a potential PR nightmare.

Re: Obama Advisor To Make Second Life Appearance

You know, I would of found Second Life interesting if it wasn't for the shops.

I mean, the idea of a gameworld that's built by it's players is awesome and all, but when all everyone makes is shops...

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm