2K Sports Takes NBA Game to Chinese Market

June 23, 2009 -

Basketball is wildly popular in China and so are online games.

Seeing big revenue in that combination, 2K Sports announced today that it will create an online version of pro hoops game NBA 2K for the Chinese market. Chinese Internet portal Tencent Holdings will partner with 2K Sports on the deal.

Licensing for the game includes all NBA team along with current and retired players. 2K Sports president Christoph Hartmann is quoted in a press release issued this morning:

The incredible popularity of basketball in Asia combined with the love of online games in that region makes this a very exciting project for 2K. For the first time, 2K is developing an online game combining our expertise in making the best-selling and top-rated NBA 2K video game franchise with the proven ability of Tencent for developing and operating highly successful online game communities in China.

Online gaming was a $2.75 billion business in China in 2008 and more than a billion Chinese viewed NBA programming during the just-completed season.

Comments

Re: 2K Sports Takes NBA Game to Chinese Market

Wonder how long it will be until China bans it for not being CHinese enough.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: 2K Sports Takes NBA Game to Chinese Market

I was wondering how long it'd take before someone would make a dumbass remark like this.

Not long, apparently.

Re: 2K Sports Takes NBA Game to Chinese Market

Well that sure told me didn't it.

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: 2K Sports Takes NBA Game to Chinese Market

mikedo2007

I'm not that suprised that this game is coming out in China, Basketball is becoming popular in Asia.  I remember they released the 2K baseball in Japan and probably Korea.  I wonder if Sony can try to release MLB 09: the Show in Japan and Korea, it would boost sales and and boost the PS3 sales in Asia.

Re: 2K Sports Takes NBA Game to Chinese Market

I hear that China has more people shooting hoops as recreation than the entire population of the US. The NBA has already tapped into that market a decade ago with its sales of NBA merchandise, and there were also many Nike ad campaigns in the 90's. I won't be all surprised if basketball video games weren't already popular there, games imported from the US.

GameSnooper

Re: 2K Sports Takes NBA Game to Chinese Market

Basketball was popularized in Asia a huge amount in the 90s thanks to anime like Slam Dunk. The sheer number of teenagers in Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and China who started playing basketball because of that anime is staggering, to say the least.

Re: 2K Sports Takes NBA Game to Chinese Market

Yo. Yao.

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm