Second Life Vigil For Slain Iranian Protesters

June 29, 2009 -

New World Notes reports that a ceremony was held in Second Life last week to honor protesters killed by security forces during the post-election unrest in Iran:

Lasting longer than 90 minutes... about forty people ultimately showed up for the vigil. No one there was reportedly from Iran, but some have family members who are. It wasn't only a time for mourning, but coordinating and growing the nascent "Support Iran" group which organized the event.

What we're seeing here, then, is an immersive offshoot of the informal Internet community that has sprung up in the last couple weeks...

Comments

Re: Second Life Vigil For Slain Iranian Protesters

There have been a few of these events on the game.  I went to one (not this one), but I found that while it was probably better than nothing (it let me pretend I was doing some good), it really lacked the power of a real vigil.  I had the opportunity to attend such a real life vigil in my city, and I found that that was far more meaningful -- the crowed swelled to roughly 3000 people, most of them Iranian immigrants, and apparently more and more non-Iranians (like me!) were showing up at every event that they held.  It was a great opportunity to show Iranians here and in Iran that you don't have to have family there to be horrified by what has been happening, and I think that message can only be effectively sent at a real life event.  Events that happen online, especially on Second Life, are just too small, to private, and too... cold, I think, no matter how much warmth people try to put into them.

Re: Second Life Vigil For Slain Iranian Protesters

If I actually played SL, I'd have probably gone to this event. It's a good thing to see support and caring for citizens lost in a tyrannical government. Sure, it's kind of pointless to do it in SL, but hopefully some real work can be done outside of the internet to help escaping citizens or, in the event of a full-blown revolution, aiding Iranians directly. At the very least, internet support (and mourning) well help to show that there are people that care out there.

-If an apple a day keeps the doctor away....what happens when a doctor eats an apple?-

-Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis-It is best to endure what you cannot change-

Re: Second Life Vigil For Slain Iranian Protesters

This is nice, right up until someone dickbombs the memorial.

MechaTama31Yikes, even with the massive new shoutbox, it still overflowed since I checked this afternoon.05/06/2015 - 11:25pm
Mattsworknameall I know is that whatever else it is, its gonna look good, cause the tech nowadays means you can do so much more with it.05/06/2015 - 9:39pm
Andrew EisenI hope Star Wars hooks me at some point. I'd love to be a fan again.05/06/2015 - 8:54pm
Wonderkarpme and my GF and Brother are going for Star Wars when it releases. We booked everything the moment the release date was announced.05/06/2015 - 8:35pm
Matthew WilsonI went as a kid. no real desire to go back.05/06/2015 - 8:34pm
Andrew EisenI'll go there someday. Just don't have the money or time right now. Need someone to go with too and that makes it even more of a logistical challenge.05/06/2015 - 8:32pm
Wonderkarpthis year I'm going to Disney World so I cant wait till Winter.05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
WonderkarpWinter is the worse....for my wallet05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
Andrew EisenWinter is the worst for me. Especially around Christmas time.05/06/2015 - 8:26pm
Wonderkarpknow what I hate? Month of May. my Sinus's are on fire.05/06/2015 - 8:25pm
Andrew EisenIn other news, I just realized what a mistake it was to start my 30 Days of Netflix project on YouTube the same month Age of Ultron came out.05/06/2015 - 8:24pm
Goth_SkunkI know. :P05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Great. Just don't be a dick about it! (not aimed at you)05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Matthew Wilson@goth do it in a reasonable manner thought. do not harass her.05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Mattsworknamelots of gamers fall into that p roblem, as do some feminists and other grooups05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Goth_SkunkI think when someone is as influential as Sarkeesian is, having and espousing that opinion is dangerous. It has to be challenged. She has to be told, 'No, you're wrong about this.' And her influence should suffer as a result.05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Mattsworknamegg has its bad actors and most moderate ggs dislike or outright work against them. be careful not to let your own hate or bias make you act like those you accuse05/06/2015 - 8:10pm
Andrew EisenMatt - Hell, sometimes minorities (peoples, opinions, whatever) themselves are just so damn scary to a number of the majority that they get marginalized whether there were so called bad actors or not.05/06/2015 - 8:09pm
Mattsworknamemechacrash, my point was that groups get marked by the actions of minoritys among them. as andrew points out, this isn't just feminist or gg, it's universal due to the wide spread use of social media05/06/2015 - 8:07pm
Andrew EisenI meant there's nothing wrong with having that opinion, not that it's completely unassailable. It's certainly not.05/06/2015 - 8:07pm