Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

June 29, 2009 -

Here at GamePolitics we're always up for an issue-oriented game.

And while we can't recall another offering based on the conflict between union labor and independent workers, Crane Wars, currently featured at Blurst, explores the never-ending conflict between the two groups.

With Toronto suffering through a strike by sanitation workers, The Star found particular relevance in Crane Wars' labor theme. Designer Steve Swink, who possesses a political science degree and a fascination with the labor movement, spoke to the newspaper about his game:

We're soft on the Union for sure but we make coy little jabs at both sides. Your money, for instance, is constantly decreasing to the point of motion blur to remind you that you're running a Union shop, and doing work is EXPENSIVE.

We definitely wanted the controls and gameplay pacing to reflect real cranes, at least so far as they are unwieldy, slow-moving machines that take a lot of skill. It's not an easy job, and the folks doing it certainly deserve much respect...

As a small indie shop that is free of publishers and can set our own hours, I think health care would be the thing that interests us most. The big question mark with labour organization though is how it would affect prices of games for players.

Comments

Re: Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

Depends on the Union, really.  For jobs where employee safety is a big issue, such as mining, they are almost universally a good thing.  However, because of organization, non-union companies are aware of the fact that they have to take care of their employees.  This is where some other Unions need to learn to back off, such as a lot of General Labor Unions in America.  I worked for a non-Union heating company for three years, made a good wage with great bennies, but was actually told by a Union rep that I was a horrible parent because I didn't want to join a Union.  I chose not to because the Union would have ended up with me getting paid less than at my non-Union job, after dues and benefits (12 bucks an hour out of my check for medical?  Screw that, if I'm only getting paid 20).

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone's feelings.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

Ah unions.. now there is a topic that is difficult to handle objectivly.   Pretty much any time I see people talking about unions, for or against, they tend to vastly oversimply the issue.  They tie into so many one-off issues.

Re: Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

Trust me - unions make a LOT more sense to you if you *really* have to work for a living.

ZAR

Re: Union Labor vs. Independents in Crane Wars

I live in Windsor, about 4 hours from Toronto, and I think the Toronto workers strike is the best thing ever. Why? Because we haven't had garbage pickup, park maintenance, or river maintenance for 11 weeks, if Toronto goes on strike, the government will legislate them back to work, and they'll HAVE to legislate Windsor too.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

Matthew Wilson@ae they may not be able to fix the capture card issue, but hopefuly they can fix the frame rate issue10/23/2014 - 4:31pm
james_fudgeso IDK10/23/2014 - 4:27pm
james_fudgeGuys I sat through a GG stream for two hours. All they talked about was ZQ. We said we were on GJP in the chat and they didn't care.10/23/2014 - 4:27pm
Andrew EisenHopefully I can find some more time.10/23/2014 - 4:26pm
Andrew EisenI'm pretty much out of time to troubleshoot this too. I won't be home until very late and the stream's Saturday.10/23/2014 - 4:19pm
Andrew EisenI guess not, although I did ask and they confirmed that they're not yet supporting my capture hardware.10/23/2014 - 4:18pm
Matthew Wilsonit wouldnt hurt to ask though10/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Andrew EisenThe problem doesn't seem to be OBS specifically, I can't get anything to work.10/23/2014 - 4:16pm
Matthew Wilsonobs has a support irc if you want help10/23/2014 - 4:15pm
Andrew EisenWhat gets me is this worked fine last year. Same PC, same capture hardware, same broadcaster.10/23/2014 - 3:58pm
Andrew EisenWish I knew where the problem was so I could fix it.10/23/2014 - 3:55pm
Andrew EisenMaybe the fact that TWC throttles my upload speed to 1 Mbps is why I've been having so much difficulty live streaming. Then again, the podcast works fine.10/23/2014 - 3:52pm
PHX Corp@Neo_DrKefka @quiknkold agreed, I think everyone needs to just STFU and play Video Games. If the behavior(between #GG and #SGG2014) continues, it's going to eventually affect the Videogame industry negatively(Lost Sales, etc.)10/23/2014 - 3:50pm
Neo_DrKefkaIn a #GamerGate Stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-BahVyFYQ they are too busy talking about Brianna's Wu appearance rather than her actions. Oh god our movement has become less and less about solutions and how can we can resolve these problems.10/23/2014 - 3:28pm
quiknkoldThese people are Arms Dealers selling weapons to both sides of this war, and I feel the only way anything will change is if everybody just stops. CTFO and play games.10/23/2014 - 3:28pm
quiknkoldI'm not specifically Targeting the Gamergate people on this. But There is one or two sick Freaks out there who get their jollys on this, and they are fueled by the war they are making worse.10/23/2014 - 3:27pm
prh99How much longer can the charade continue, the extremists have driven out the majority of people that thought it was about ethics. All that's left are the hooligans.10/23/2014 - 3:25pm
quiknkoldneeds to never happen again10/23/2014 - 3:20pm
quiknkoldand really I just stoped giving a damn about those articles, because the opinions of 7+ Articles does not change the fact that I am a Gamer, That I love Games, and that I am a decent hard working Human Being. And what happened to Felicia Day, who I adore,10/23/2014 - 3:20pm
quiknkold2 reasons why I originally joined gamergate. 1: I didnt like the 7+ anti gamer articles. 2 : I thought there was real newsworthy stuff pouring out of it like the stuff involving Phil Fish. As time went by, I saw no real fruiit10/23/2014 - 3:19pm