Conservative MP Sees Pro-Game Future for UK

July 28, 2009 -

Bruce Everiss has posted a revealing interview with Conservative MP Ed Vaizey (left) over at Bruce on Games.

Vaizey, who was vocal in his support of the UK video game industry before it was fashionable to do so, offers some worthwhile insights:

I would see video games as art, they are creative, and they have by now their own heritage and cultural significance, which is one element of art.

[UK Conservatives] think video games have not been taken seriously by [PM Gordon Brown's Labour] Government.  They are a huge industry for us, we are world-beaters, and we should be looking at imaginative policies to support the industry as much as possible...

Vaizey also comments sensibly on another pair of hot-button issues, sensationalized media coverage and video game piracy:

You can’t [get the media to stop writing negative stories about games] – the media love bad news stories.  But I do think  the industry has made real strides in the last couple of years.  You see many more Wii type stories, emphasising the industry’s contribution to health and education, than you used to...

We will work with the ISPs [on piracy] to ensure that people who are ripping off games are held to account, we have to take tough measures to ensure this becomes much less of a problem.  But the industry has to adapt as well, and change its business models to account for the new era.

Comments

Re: Conservative MP Sees Pro-Game Future for UK

So conservatives are pro-games if the other party isn't? Good to know, good to know.

Re: Conservative MP Sees Pro-Game Future for UK

Excellent reading comprehension - one Tory MP equals the entire party.

That said, the opposition party are nearly always opposed to all government policy regardless. It's their role to criticise the current government, but this can have the side effect of them doing so about everything in an effort to make themselves look good and the government look inept (Moreso).

See devolution of Wales and Scotland, which the Tories were completely wrong about.

Re: Conservative MP Sees Pro-Game Future for UK

Vaizey's the reason I vote Tory. Awesome guy.

Check out my blog - http://serveratcapacity.blogspot.com

Re: Conservative MP Sees Pro-Game Future for UK

Really? He's the only Tory I've ever particularly agreed with on a certain subject, but that's not enough to make me vote for Cameron.

Re: Conservative MP Sees Pro-Game Future for UK

I'm not even convinced David Cameron is a real person, just some bizarre public relations creation that's escaped into the wild. He seems to have realised that his greatest asset at the moment is that he isn't Labour, hence the current trend of "I'll tell you what we're not doing..." when asked about policies

Re: Conservative MP Sees Pro-Game Future for UK

Great for the U.K., but how come we don't get these vocal advocates (outside the ESA & ECA) in the U.S.?

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm