Video Game Slowdown Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

July 30, 2009 -

The Wall Street Journal reports that mega-online retailer Amazon.com posted a 14% revenue increase for the financial quarter ending June 30th, but its profits fell 10% from $158 million to $142 million.

Amazon’s Chief Financial Officer Tom Szkutak commented on the drop laid much of the bad news on declining video game sales:

You're seeing an industry slowdown in videogames and consoles.

Despite singling out games, other factors impacted the profit fall such as “flat” media sales in North American (including books and music) and a $51 million legal settlement paid to Toys R Us.

Via: GamesIndustry.Biz

Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Correspondent Andrew Eisen...

Comments

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Why did they paid toys r us $51 million?

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Had to do with a 2004 dispute where Toys R Us was to exclusively supply Amazon with stuff.

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D99KDI880.htm

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

When consoles go over 200 or 300 dollars, and game prices are approaching over 60 dollars, of course new sales are going to drop. And despire what the industry is trying to do, eradicatign the used market will mean people simply won't game.

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

They need to lower the prices. I mean we are seeing the price of video games at the level it was during the N64. Sony's PS1 price and the games price point 39.99 and 49.99 is something people can work with

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

This is why I shifted to Digital downloads on my Xbox 360, Wii and PS3, I still buy retail games time to time

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

America has just became its own version of the Jerry Springer Show after a bizarre moment in Florida involving a carnival worker.

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Yeah, the price of video games IS slowly climbing, but it hasn't quite reached those levels yet. In Canada, most high profile new releases are now selling for 70$, which means I don't buy any new console games. It sucks, but I can't justify that much money for a game.

I'm being relegated to the PC scene (which I like better anyway), where new releases are consistently at 49.99.

But yeah, back in the N64 days I paid over 80 dollars for Tony Hawk 2. Yeesh, I can't believe I did that.

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

we need games to be rpiced the same as film 10-30 a pop. It will do far more good than bad.

I am a criminal because I purchase media,I am a criminal because I use media, I am a criminal because I chose to own media..We shall remain criminals until Corporate stay's outside our bedrooms..

---

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

Nah, I think paying $70 for an N64 game was worse, and $70 in 1998 dollars is somewhat more than $70 today. Right now I don't see the games top more than $60, not including those that come with extra accessories.

GameSnooper

Re: Video Game Slowdow Impacts Amazon's Bottom Line

I think that 51 MILLION DOLLAR SETTLEMENT Might have had a bigger role in screwing with their profits than the economy.  I know, sounds crazy.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7932653/fcc-changed-definition-broadband-25mbps did not think the fcc would go through with it.01/29/2015 - 1:16pm
Andrew EisenI know, right? Don't you dare think the fact that I buy all your games makes this sort of behavior okay, TT Games!01/29/2015 - 12:57pm
IanCHow dare thy release games that do well both commercially and critically. How dare they. (refer to the Lego games)01/29/2015 - 12:55pm
Infophile@Wonderkarp: Tales of Innocence. Was in the final dungeon, when I accidentally left my 3DS on an airplane and couldn't get it back. Lost both the game and the system. Got a new system, but not the game (not fun enough to be worth replaying)01/29/2015 - 12:10pm
Andrew EisenOh, thank goodness. There will be at least two console LEGO games this year. For a moment I was worried there! (LEGO Jurassic World, LEGO Marvel's Avengers plus LEGO Ninjago for handheld.)01/29/2015 - 12:08pm
prh99Cminer: It's the only way to monetize Nintendo game videos. Otherwise Nintendo content IDs them and take all the AD revenue. Also it's only covers a small portion of their catalog.01/29/2015 - 12:06pm