Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

August 5, 2009 -

….another in an occasional series of reports about gamers who gave their all:

A U.S. Army soldier killed in Afghanistan last month was a lifelong gamer, reports the Washington Post.

Army Spec. Anthony Lightfoot, 20, of Riverdale, Georgia died along with three comrades in a roadside attack on July 20th in Wardak Province.

According to his family, Lightfoot beat Mario Bros. as a small child and hoped to become a game designer some day:

He was a video game devotee who beat a Mario Bros. game at age 4 and never looked back, his brother said. "Ever since then, you couldn't move him from the TV," his brother said. "Everything he touched he tried to master, and that was an awesome quality about him."

Lightfoot's passion for video games grew into a desire to study animation and design a game. He drew a lot as a youngster and befriended other fans of Japanese animation and video games.

"He was always happy to meet people, befriend people and help people," his brother said. "He was a giving person."

Spec. Lightfoot was buried at Arlington National Cemetery on Tuesday.

GP: Rest in peace, Anthony...

Comments

Re: Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

I don't know why they bother saying that soldier-gamers want to be a game designer when they get out of the military.  Seems I've seen that a couple of times recently.  It seems 'game designer' is the new 'fireman' - it's what kids want to be when they grow up.

Re: Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

He is in the great arcade in the sky rest in peace

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large amounts.

Re: Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

"Soldier dies in Warzone", News at 10

Re: Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

The hell man, why do all the awsome people always have to die.

Rest in peace Anthony may your memory live on.

Re: Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

Game on in the beyond brave soldier.

Re: Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

Thanks for your service. Rest in peace.

Re: Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

Rest in peace Anthony

Us gamers here would have really loved to know you.

Your game may be over, but your replays will live on forever.

TBoneTony

Re: Would-be Game Designer Lost in Afghanistan

He sounds like a nice fellow.

May his soul rests in peace.

Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm