EA's NFL Exclusive Does Not Include Mobile Games

August 6, 2009 -

Although EA's exclusive licensing deal with the NFL and NFL Players Association has outraged some gamers and even sparked a class-action lawsuit, it appears that, while negotiating with league, the game publishing giant neglected to wrap up the mobile device rights for NFL games.

By way of example, BitMob points out that Gameloft has released NFL 2010 this month for iPhone/iPod Touch. Screenshots for the $7.99 App Store download clearly show actual NFL team and player names. The game appears to be available for non-Apple phones as well.

It seems quite puzzling that EA would let development rights for any platform slip away, particularly for the popular Apple platforms.

-Doug Buffone, ECA intern

Comments

Re: EA's NFL Exclusive Does Not Include Mobile Games

To be honest, I doubt EA's negotiation team could have known that gaming on Mobile phone would take off as much as it has when this deal was negotiated (a number of years ago now, I presume).

They may have tried to secure exclusivity once it became apparent that it would become a popular platform, but by then the NFL may have been in negotiations with other parties for the mobile licenses.

Re: EA's NFL Exclusive Does Not Include Mobile Games

Nobody takes iPhone gaming seriously, not even Apple.  That's why the iStore is such a clusterfuck.

---

Freedom of speech means the freedom to say ANYTHING, so long as it is the truth. This does not exclude anything that might hurt someone's feelings.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: EA's NFL Exclusive Does Not Include Mobile Games

Apple doesn't take anything seriously, which is why they still rely on security-through-obscurity for most of the MacOS side of things.
They mostly want you to pay the Apple-tax and then move along.
Or why they demand people sign an NDA to receive compensation for exploded iPods and so on.

However, while Apple may not take iPhone gaming seriously, a major publisher like EA is bound to do so, there's quite a bit of money to be made.
But I assume they don't re-negotiate their gaming licenses every year, so mobile phone platforms may simply have been left out of the original negotiations. Count on it that EA will have the exclusive license for mobile platforms as soon as their current agreement runs out though.

Re: EA's NFL Exclusive Does Not Include Mobile Games

To be fair no one gives a damn about cell phone games.

Re: EA's NFL Exclusive Does Not Include Mobile Games

Too bad no one gives 2 shits about a mobile nfl game, just bring the NFL 2K series.

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm