FCC Workshop on Open Government Will Simulcast into Second Life

August 6, 2009 -

New World Notes reports that the Federal Communications Commission will provide the Second Life community with an interactive simulcast of today's workshop on open government and civic engagement.

SL users will have a special channel to forward questions and responses to workshop attendees in Washington, D.C. NWN notes that the event is part of the National Broadband Plan and will help government officials understand how high-speed Internet access "can improve transparency and citizen participation in government..."

FCC spokeswoman Jen Howard commented on the SL simulcast:

In developing our nation’s National Broadband Plan, we are committed to finding innovative, cutting-edge ways -– both online and offline -- to reach out to the public and elicit suggestions, questions, and insight regarding our nation’s broadband future. We are delighted that this first workshop will have an aperture into Second Life and that staff is experimenting in such ways to reach all stakeholders.

Comments

Re: FCC Workshop on Open Government Will Simulcast into ...

Heh, I should reinstall SL, go to this thing and start saying "Theres no negotian with the fellas at the freaking FCC."

Re: FCC Workshop on Open Government Will Simulcast into ...

What is it with government and out-of-touch corporations and their love of Second Life?  In a genre where a year is the equivalent of a lifetime, do they not realize that SL has been off most people's radar for a couple of years now?

Heck, if they want to be at all relevant they should be hitting up WoW, or getting in on the unreleased games that have the biggest buzz.  Trying to send a message via SL is about as up-to-date and effective as trying to contact people using the Pony Express.

Re: FCC Workshop on Open Government Will Simulcast into ...

Good point, though a webinar also is available to view the meetings.  That probably is going to be far better attended.

But I would give the FCC credit for trying to get more participation in the broadband proceeding.  The staff member heading up development of the Broadband Plan pronounced the 8,500 page record submitted so far as "unhelpful."  The workshops this month are an attempt to focus the debate and attract new participants.  We will see if it draws in comments from outside the beltway.

Matthew WilsonThe Point - The Witcher 3: A New Benchmark in Player Choice http://disclosures.house.gov/ld/pdfform.aspx?id=30048982605/22/2015 - 10:37pm
Matthew WilsonI assume no show this weekend?05/22/2015 - 10:27pm