America's Army Game Used to Create Machinima About Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

August 10, 2009 -

Machinima artist Paolo Pedercini turns the tables on the U.S. Defense Department's controversial America's Army recruiting game in Welcome to the desert of the real.

The 6:37 video uses footage from America's Army to highlight symptions of post-traumatic stress disorder, an increasingly prevalent condition among U.S. service personnel returning from combat zones in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If you're expecting action, however, this is not the machinima for you. Pedercini's work is low-key, almost ponderous. The artist seems to want to capture the feeling of detachment that is typical of those suffering from PTSD.

Via: Betterverse

For a list of PTSD symptoms, click here.

Comments

Re: America's Army Game Used to Create Machinima About ...

Great video.  But all I really have to say is this: America's Army must suck.  I mean the graphics look to be about 640x480 and there isn't even any anti-aliasing.  Then there's the fact that they make a mountain look like an enormous sand dune.  Finally, when a guy is walking, his feet shouldn't slide forward.

Re: America's Army Game Used to Create Machinima About ...

I would like to see this game add in more of the physiological aspect of being a Solider. I feel the game as it is, is just a glorified shooter to make you feel good.

As I said before until you know the pain to loose a fellow comrade and what its like to see Death you have no idea what it is like to serve.

I have friends who hate the darkness because they feel a young boy is going to come out and try to shoot them all up and they are going to have to decide to fire back. I don’t think American’s Army the video game can show tha. I know it’s a recruitment tool but I would love to see a 3rd or first person shoot encompass a powerful story to make you feel as if your in Military Personals boots.

Bioshock proved a 1st person with an engaging and powerful story. Honor our troops and make a powerful game. I think a game like that would be revolutionary

Re: America's Army Game Used to Create Machinima About ...

My sister had post-traumatic stress disorder, the sad part is that she won't get help for it what so ever.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm