Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

August 13, 2009 -

Recently, GamePolitics reported on a million dollar Ebay listing for an Xbox 360 supposedly autographed by former Alasksa Governor Sarah Palin.

Canadian David Morrill told the Anchorage Daily News that he obtained the signature from Palin at a picnic event earlier in the summer. The auction was quickly removed by Ebay, however, with no explanation forthcoming.

Not long after, a second auction which advertised a "replica" of the original Palin 360 appeared. That listing, clearly a parody, also has been removed.

Now, David Sheets, who blogs about games for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, has a theory as to why the original listing was taken down. Sheets believes that Palin's first name is misspelled:

Game Guy thinks he knows why the bid was yanked. If you look closely at the signature, former Gov. Palin’s first name appears to lack the final “h.” Last he heard, she spelled her first name “Sarah,” not “Sara.” Even Alaska’s official website spells it with an “h.”

And hey, you can’t ask for a cool $1.1 million for a signed Xbox if the signee can’t spell her name correctly.

GP: I'm no handwriting expert, but I'm not so sure that I buy into Sheets's theory. For one thing, the ex-Guv's purported autograph tails off after the "r" in "Sarah," as if she (or whoever wrote it) was signing hastily. So the missing "h" is not all that farfetched. Beyond that, the authenticity of high-priced autographs is always an issue, which may have prompted the Ebay removal.

Comments

Re: Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

No signature for a living person is going to go for that kind of money. It would be too easy to get another one signed, and then another and then another. Now if you had a Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett or Michael Jackson signed Xbox 360, you'd get some money for those... still, nowhere near $1.1 M. Not even Sadaam Hussein's signature on an Xbox would get $1.1 M.

Re: Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

So either it's a fake, or Palin can't spell her own name. Both seem plausible.

Re: Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

A three year old could do that scribble.

Re: Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

No autograph is worth that much. I hope eBay actually took it down because they were disgusted by the thought of some douche getting 1.1 million off the scribbles of an Alaskan psychopath. Palin isn't a celebrity and she hasn't done anything to actually earn her popularity, other than losing and quitting. That's just my opinion on the matter, though.

Re: Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

Hey, if someone wants to pay over a million bucks for a Sarah Palin signed XBOX that's their business.  At least it's money moving through the economy.  Regardless of that, however, who cares whether the signature is spelled correctly?  How many doctors (or celebrities or anyone else for that manner) have illegible signatures?  Heck, even me personally.  I know that about the only thing you can read of my last name is the first letter.  The rest is just a squiggly line with a dot over it for the "I".

Re: Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

No one should pay $1 for that *****'s autograph anyway.

Re: Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

No one would pay $1.1mil for Sarah Palin's autograph anyway.

Re: Misspelling Behind Ebay Removal of Sarah Palin Xbox 360?

It looks like a bunch of squiqly lines to me. Someone should just show a side by side comparsing on the thing to see if that theory is true or not.

Poll